Pentium II and slackware 3.5....which kernel mode?

Pentium II and slackware 3.5....which kernel mode?

Post by * » Mon, 10 Aug 1998 04:00:00

when I recompile my kernel, I get the option of
386/486/pentium/PPro/.  I currently have a Pentium II/233
klamath chip (with L2 cache)  I imagine i should choose the PPro
(for the speed)  But I was under the impression that the PPro
doesn't have an L2 cache.  I was also under the impression that
the L2 cache runs under 16bit architecture, and would therefore
run the chip at 16bit (like a Pentium) instead of 32 bit (like a
PPro).  Which should i choose?  I also noticed that If I
overclock my chip to a 266, the BIOS doesn't recognize the L2
cache.  Does that mean the L2 cache is disabled?  Would that
give me full 32bit processing?  Am i just talking out of my
Arse?

Post by Ashwin Biha » Tue, 11 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> when I recompile my kernel, I get the option of
> 386/486/pentium/PPro/.  I currently have a Pentium II/233
> klamath chip (with L2 cache)  I imagine i should choose the PPro
> (for the speed)  But I was under the impression that the PPro
> doesn't have an L2 cache.  I was also under the impression that
> the L2 cache runs under 16bit architecture, and would therefore
> run the chip at 16bit (like a Pentium) instead of 32 bit (like a
> PPro).  Which should i choose?  I also noticed that If I
> overclock my chip to a 266, the BIOS doesn't recognize the L2
> cache.  Does that mean the L2 cache is disabled?  Would that
> give me full 32bit processing?  Am i just talking out of my
> Arse?

Set the Kernel to PPRO and dont overclock, I got a PII/300 and thats what
I set mine up to, I would guess that the 2.1.x kernels, have a PII
selection?? Overclocking is a bad idea unless you take some good
precautions to cool the chip and stuff like that..and also, now that
you've done it, your warranty is also void..Regards

|Ashwin Bihari                              University of Massachusetts Lowell|

|Primary   URL: http://welcome.to/linuxresource                               |
|Secondary URL: http://members.xoom.com/abihari                               |
| NOTE: The E-mail address on top has been mangled to stop Spam Bots..please  |
|       use the address in this box for replying.                             |
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Post by * » Tue, 11 Aug 1998 04:00:00

|> when I recompile my kernel, I get the option of
|> 386/486/pentium/PPro/.  I currently have a Pentium II/233
|> klamath chip (with L2 cache)  I imagine i should choose the
PPro
|> (for the speed)  But I was under the impression that the PPro
|> doesn't have an L2 cache.  I was also under the impression
that
|> the L2 cache runs under 16bit architecture, and would
therefore
|> run the chip at 16bit (like a Pentium) instead of 32 bit
(like a
|> PPro).  Which should i choose?  I also noticed that If I
|> overclock my chip to a 266, the BIOS doesn't recognize the L2
|> cache.  Does that mean the L2 cache is disabled?  Would that
|> give me full 32bit processing?  Am i just talking out of my
|> Arse?
|>

|I don't have an answer, but you could do som testing yourself.
Compile
|the kernel with PPro, reboot. Now do some benchmarking (like a
kernel
|compile, sort a large file, etc). reconfigure the kernel with
the
|Pentium option, recompile and reboot. Do the same benchmarking.
If the
|performance goes up, great. if the performance goes down,
recompile
|again with the PPro option. If no difference, then that's fine
too.

I was more afraid of having the newly compiled Kernel requesting
commands from my P II that are only included in a PPro, But I
may try it.

Pentium II and slackware 3.5....which kernel mode?

Post by * » Tue, 11 Aug 1998 04:00:00

It does, thank you.
|The PPro DOES have an L2 cache.  It was integrated into the die
and
|runs at the internal clock speed of the CPU.  That design was
|abandoned due to cost limitations.  So the L2 Cache does exist,
and it
|runs under the native 32-bit architecture of the PPro.
|
|As for the P2, you should be able to set the processor type in
the
|kernel as a PPro without any problems, as there are no real
PPro or P2
|specific opcodes, save for MMX, which isn't used in linux as
far as i
|know.  The PPro may or may not give any major performance
improvement,
|but it probably won't cause any major performance degredation,
either,
|as the P2 is more or less a PPro meets MMX in a spiffy new
cartridge
|based casing.
|
|A couple of things you could check for the overclocking issue
are:
|1) make sure you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard
(check the
|manufacturer's webpage)
|2) make sure that your BIOS is set up with relatively
conservative
|timings for everything, particularly memory, for stability
reasons.
|3) if you have a brand X motherboard, give up.  you get what
you pay
|for, so if you have an el cheapo Slot 1 board that you picked
up for
|less than 100 bucks, you're gonna be lucky to have a stable
system
|when you're clocked to spec, much less stable and functioning
properly
|when overclocked.  The "you get what you pay for" theme also
crosses
|over into the rest of your major components (memory, video
card, SCSI
|card, etc.) to a certain extent.
|
|{{standard disclaimer : your mileage may vary.  i'm not
necissarily a
|genius or a miracle worker}}
|
|Hope that gives you some insight....:-)
|
|john
|On Sun, 9 Aug 1998 12:36:20 -0600, "*"

|>when I recompile my kernel, I get the option of
|>386/486/pentium/PPro/.  I currently have a Pentium II/233
|>klamath chip (with L2 cache)  I imagine i should choose the
PPro
|>(for the speed)  But I was under the impression that the PPro
|>doesn't have an L2 cache.  I was also under the impression
that
|>the L2 cache runs under 16bit architecture, and would
therefore
|>run the chip at 16bit (like a Pentium) instead of 32 bit (like
|>PPro).  Which should i choose?  I also noticed that If I
|>overclock my chip to a 266, the BIOS doesn't recognize the L2
|>cache.  Does that mean the L2 cache is disabled?  Would that
|>give me full 32bit processing?  Am i just talking out of my
|>Arse?

Pentium II and slackware 3.5....which kernel mode?

Post by * » Tue, 11 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Thank you.

|> when I recompile my kernel, I get the option of
|> 386/486/pentium/PPro/.  I currently have a Pentium II/233
|> klamath chip (with L2 cache)  I imagine i should choose the
PPro
|> (for the speed)  But I was under the impression that the PPro
|> doesn't have an L2 cache.  I was also under the impression
that
|> the L2 cache runs under 16bit architecture, and would
therefore
|> run the chip at 16bit (like a Pentium) instead of 32 bit
(like a
|> PPro).  Which should i choose?  I also noticed that If I
|> overclock my chip to a 266, the BIOS doesn't recognize the L2
|> cache.  Does that mean the L2 cache is disabled?  Would that
|> give me full 32bit processing?  Am i just talking out of my
|> Arse?
|
|Set the Kernel to PPRO and dont overclock, I got a PII/300 and
thats what
|I set mine up to, I would guess that the 2.1.x kernels, have a
PII
|selection?? Overclocking is a bad idea unless you take some
good
|precautions to cool the chip and stuff like that..and also, now
that
|you've done it, your warranty is also void..Regards

|--
|/--------------------------------------------------------------
---------------\
||Ashwin Bihari       University of Massachusetts Lowell|

Science    |

|\--------------------------------------------------------------
---------------/

Post by Peter Granrot » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> when I recompile my kernel, I get the option of
> 386/486/pentium/PPro/.  I currently have a Pentium II/233
> klamath chip (with L2 cache)  I imagine i should choose the PPro
> (for the speed)  But I was under the impression that the PPro
> doesn't have an L2 cache.  I was also under the impression that
> the L2 cache runs under 16bit architecture, and would therefore
> run the chip at 16bit (like a Pentium) instead of 32 bit (like a
> PPro).  Which should i choose?  I also noticed that If I
> overclock my chip to a 266, the BIOS doesn't recognize the L2
> cache.  Does that mean the L2 cache is disabled?  Would that
> give me full 32bit processing?  Am i just talking out of my
> Arse?

I don't have an answer, but you could do som testing yourself. Compile
the kernel with PPro, reboot. Now do some benchmarking (like a kernel
compile, sort a large file, etc). reconfigure the kernel with the
Pentium option, recompile and reboot. Do the same benchmarking. If the
performance goes up, great. if the performance goes down, recompile
again with the PPro option. If no difference, then that's fine too.

HTH
+        Peter Granroth        +  Microsoft is NOT the answer  +

+    http://granroth.ml.org    +       The answer is NO        +

Post by illusi » Thu, 13 Aug 1998 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:>when I recompile my kernel, I get the option of
>386/486/pentium/PPro/.  I currently have a Pentium II/233
>klamath chip (with L2 cache)  I imagine i should choose the PPro
>(for the speed)  But I was under the impression that the PPro
>doesn't have an L2 cache.  I was also under the impression that
>the L2 cache runs under 16bit architecture, and would therefore
>run the chip at 16bit (like a Pentium) instead of 32 bit (like a
>PPro).  Which should i choose?  I also noticed that If I
>overclock my chip to a 266, the BIOS doesn't recognize the L2
>cache.  Does that mean the L2 cache is disabled?  Would that
>give me full 32bit processing?  Am i just talking out of my
>Arse?

1. Slackware 3.5 and Millineum II AGP Video

Please help, I have been trying for a month to get X server to run with my
Matrox Millenium II AGP with 4M of RAM.

I see the card in the xf86config program and run through the process but the
system locks up with a green/blue screen with no mouse cursor.

I have tried so many things that I am now fully confused.  Could someone
please outline a general step by step  of the programs that I need and the
steps to follow to get this working?

Your help is immeasurably appreciated!

2. Include for HTTPD

3. kernel problems (i think) - slackware 3.5

4. Portsentry why ignore 0.0.0.0

5. kernel problems(i think) - slackware 3.5

6. PS2/MicroChannel

7. Problems Compiling Kernel under Slackware 3.5

8. is a gigabit switch designed to handle all its devices talking at a giabit?

9. Will slackware 3.5 support kernel 2.2 ?

10. Slackware installation on a Gateway Pentium II

11. Linux-1.2.13 breaks term-2.3.5 in system-share mode.

12. Dual Pentium II vs Pentium III

13. Pentium Pro / Pentium II FPU Bug