GNU Make is broken, please help

Post by terry l » Fri, 16 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I recently upgraed my gcc 2.70 on my linux box to 2.72, unfortunately
this had an unexpected effect of crippling make.  It seems now that
make no longer searches for the default "Makefile" file when
compiling, thus I have to use make -f Makefile instead.

Someone in #linux mentioned that simply getting the GCC binaries and
untarring them won't work, but everything seems to work BUT make.
Since I'm very short on disk space (10 megs left on my puny 140Mb
partition), recompiling 20 megs of source is simply out of the question.

Can anyone offer some advice on 1. what the heck is going on  (ie why
should make behave like this all of a sudden) and 2. what can I do to
fix is other than recompiling all of gcc? :)

Thanks in advnace.

1. i am new and have dumb questions to ask, please help!

i have a few really dumb quesitons.... but i got to start somewhere....

1)    after running configX, i don't know how to start metroX, help?

2)    for some reason, the ms serial mouse wouldn't work in Xfree86.  i
did run through mouseconfig, and even tried
                mouseconfig -kickstart -device cua0
       could someone please help?

thanx in advance.

friendly snoopy

2. CDRs I burn in Windows NT server are not readable in Linux

3. "Bus error" please help, I am going insane!

4. painfully slow logins

5. PLEASE HELP: am stuck configing X for Diamond Stealth

6. Formatting and writing >1.44mb floppies

7. I am dumb!! Please Help

8. AIX Equivalent

9. I'am collecting international insults! Please help!

10. ftpd I am almost there please help!!

11. Please help I am very new.

12. Kernel Panic, Please Help...I am Panicking Too

13. i am not familiar with shell script, please help me