Installing from a floppy using WINE

Post by John Dowdi » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

I am trying to install some DOS/Windows software from floppies using
WINE.  The install program starts to run, but then prompts to insert a
floppy with the label QP-1, even though that floppy is already in
there.

I am guessing that the problem is that WINE is not reading the label
correctly from the floppy disk.  The entry for the disk in my
wine.conf is:

[Drive A]
Path=/mnt/floppy
Type=floppy

I can mount and read the floppy just fine under LINUX.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
--

John Dowding

http://www.ai.sri.com/~dowding

Installing from a floppy using WINE

Post by Rod Smi » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>I am trying to install some DOS/Windows software from floppies using
>WINE.  The install program starts to run, but then prompts to insert a
>floppy with the label QP-1, even though that floppy is already in
>there.

>I am guessing that the problem is that WINE is not reading the label
>correctly from the floppy disk.  The entry for the disk in my
>wine.conf is:

>[Drive A]
>Path=/mnt/floppy
>Type=floppy

The last I checked, WINE used another entry in wine.conf to determine the
volume label for each drive (including floppies).  For instance, mine
uses:

[Drive A]
Path=/mnt/floppy
Type=floppy
Label=FLOPPY
Serial=87654321

This results in Windows programs seeing the volume label as "FLOPPY".
I've successfully edited this to get programs to see the volume labels
they expect, but I've never tried it "on the fly" -- only between
invocations of WINE.  If your install program insists on checking the
volume label itself, you may be out of luck, unless there's some other way
to handle this about which I'm unaware.  Many install programs, though,
don't check the volume label, so you may be able to do it some other way
-- say, by copying all the files to another directory and installing from
there.  Another possibility I've just thought of might be to set up a
bunch of "dummy" drives, for instance /mnt/floppya, /mnt/floppyb,
/mnt/floppyf, /mnt/floppyg, etc., one for each floppy of your install set,
and give the appropriate volume labels to each in wine.conf.  If your
install program lets you re-direct the drive from which it's reading for
each floppy, you could then tell it to switch to each in turn, using
Linux's umount and mount to remove a floppy and then to mount the next one
on the appropriate new mount point (or copy them all to directories ahead
of time).  Of course, a finicky program might just *when it finds
that drive "G:" (say) is a floppy, but this might be worth trying....

--
Rod Smith                                 Author of:

http://www.veryComputer.com/~rodsmith          "OS/2 Soundcard Summary"
NOTE: Remove "uceprotect" from address to e-mail me

Installing from a floppy using WINE

Post by John Dowdi » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

I am trying to install some DOS/Windows software from floppies using
WINE.  The install program starts to run, but then prompts to insert a
floppy with the label QP-1, even though that floppy is already in
there.

I am guessing that the problem is that WINE is not reading the label
correctly from the floppy disk.  The entry for the disk in my
wine.conf is:

[Drive A]
Path=/mnt/floppy
Type=floppy

I can mount and read the floppy just fine under LINUX.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
--

John Dowding

http://www.ai.sri.com/~dowding

1. Wine,wine,wine - I need help with wine

Help
I down loaded and installed Wine to Linux 2.0.22 and Xwindows (XFree).
I think it's installed correctly.  I am getting a 'drive not found/path
not found' error.  I have my wine.conf in the right place (I think).
I'm using Win95 and hda3 and Linux on hda1.  I need a reality check.  Is
it hard to set up Wine?  Does someone have a working wine.conf file that
might guide me to a working wine.   Wine,wine,wine and beer. Ok I'll
stop wineing

Thanks
George

*                                                *
*   -----(((( Every Dog Has His Day ))))-----    *
*       ( to stay on the porch and bark )        *
*                                                *
*                George Dunham                   *
*            "Crappy Computers Ink"              *

*     http://www.sni.net/~gdunham/gdunh.htm      *
*    arf             |\__/\                      *
*        arf arf     / oo \_                     *
*             arf    | o  | \                    *
*                arf  \()/   \   )               *

2. 'unresolved symbol schedule'

3. Using USB floppy drive for root floppy

4. DCOP error reinstalling KDE3.01

5. Can I Install Caldera 2.3 using a floppy and a downloaded bootable CD?

6. 1 * ZJQpHFWdI-Solaris mail

7. Installing Linux w/o using floppies

8. Solaris 2.6 don't understand UTF-8

9. install linux/freebsd using floppy

10. floppy access under WINE

11. problems trying to install using floppy boot and RHL cdroms

12. Newbie ?: Jumpstart Using Just Sun Install CD and Floppy

13. USING THE A1 FLOPPY TO BOOT AN INSTALLED SYSTEM - THE ANSWERS