Xfree86: could not open default font 'fixed'

Xfree86: could not open default font 'fixed'

Post by Yan Seine » Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I keep getting this error on running startex.  I know it has to do with
the compressed fonts in the font directories.  The x server dies at that
point with:

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
giving up.
xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

There is an FAQ somewhere on this, but I can't find it at all.  The fix
has to do with a configuration setting or a update, (something to do
with old fonts) but I can't remember anything beyond that.

Running RH 5.1, out of the box.

Thanks.

Yan

Xfree86: could not open default font 'fixed'

Post by Tom Schlarma » Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I just fought with this this past weekend. The fixed font is usually in the
/usr/X11R6/lib/fonts directory (or in the neighborhood). I'm not sure what
version of XFree86 RH5.1 has, but assuming it's 3.3.x.  Some things to look
for:

1) Check for an invalid font path in the XF86Config file
2) go to your fonts directory and run mkfontdir...as in 'mkfontdir misc'.
This regenerates the fonts.dir file in the specified folder.
3) Check your fonts.alias file in the misc font directory and make sure it
has a 'fixed' entry in it.

My problem was after I did an upgrade from 3.3.2 to 3.3.3 and I had a
mismatched server and binaries.

tom

Tom Schlarman

Quote:>I keep getting this error on running startex.  I know it has to do with
>the compressed fonts in the font directories.  The x server dies at that
>point with:

>Fatal server error:
>could not open default font 'fixed'

>_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
>giving up.
>xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
>xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

>There is an FAQ somewhere on this, but I can't find it at all.  The fix
>has to do with a configuration setting or a update, (something to do
>with old fonts) but I can't remember anything beyond that.

>Running RH 5.1, out of the box.

>Thanks.

>Yan

1. XFree86 3.3.3 and 'could not open default font fixed'

Hi all,

I am try to get XFree86 3.3.3 up and going. The XF86_SVGA server is telling
me that the default font 'fixed' is missing.

I have hit the README.Config and it indicates that one of my font paths may
be bad. Well, all my font paths are correct.

I have run mkfontdir on the assorted font folders and all is well. A new
fonts.dir file was created and it reported no errors. The fonts.alias file
lists a 'fixed' font which looks alot like the params for the 6x13.pcf.gz
file. So everything should be in place.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I am using a PCI S3 VirgeVX.

Thanx

Tom

PS-- If any of the XFree86 server developers are out there...How about
adding more descriptive error messages in one of the next releases. Making
it easier for users to fix things is the only way Linux is gonna outpace
Windows...

Tom Schlarman

2. AMD SC410 boot problems with recent kernels

3. Help: XFree86 startx error "could not open default font 'fixed'"

4. sndconfig problems

5. Font Problem: could not open default font 'fixed'

6. Samba NMBD problem

7. Dialer failed on line ttyxx: Timer expired (error 62)

8. could not open default font 'fixed' ??

9. Fatal Server Error: could not open default font 'fixed'

10. could not open default font 'fixed'

11. X won't start: can't open default font 'fixed'

12. could not open default font 'fixed'