FWD- Eight way AMD K7 chipset on cards

Post by Alex La » Wed, 14 Jul 1999 04:00:00

----------------FWD---------------------
 Posted 13/07/99 10:10am by Mike Magee, The Register, London, UK.

 Eight way AMD K7 chipset on cards

 AMD has licensed Poseidon to produce SMP chipsets for the Athlon K7.

 And, at the same time, Poseidon has changed its name to HotRail and
secured funding from aspate of VCs.

 HotRail has described a simultaneous switched matrix (SSM) system
that will support multiple K7s with up to eight processors.

 AMD has always said it will sell K7s, sorry Athlons, into the server
market but this is the first clear evidence of how that will work.

 Our sources indicate that systems are not likely to appear,however,
until next year.

 In the meantime, both Compaq and API, the Samsung sub, will seriously
market SMP systems using Slot B and the Alpha processor.

 Our reports indicate that Alpha will be the first processor to run at
1GHz without aid of cooling technology. ?

source- http://theregister.co.uk/990713-000005.html

*remove all the Xs (upper case X) if reply by e mail.
** no more M$ Windoze.

1. fwd- AMD K7: 700MHz an easy overclock

---------------FWD-------------------
 Posted 09/07/99 11:37am by Mike Magee, The Register, London, UK.

 AMD K7: 700MHz an easy overclock

 Sources close to AMD said today that overclocking Athlon K7s is an
easy matter, with systems builders easily able to achieve speeds of
700MHz.

 But things could get even better for overclocking freaks, because the
same source said that AMD is likely to introduce a 750MHz part either
late in Q3 or early in Q4 this year.

 If AMD continues its policy of supporting gamers willing to overclock
their parts, that could mean some very fast systems will emerge,
knocking spots off the Intel competition, he said.

 Multiprocessor boards are unlikely to arrive until early next year,
however.

 Rana Mainee, European research director at AMD, said: "We don't
recommend overclocking but we haven't done anything in K7 to prevent
it. If people want to do that, they can choose to do so at
 their own risk."

 He said the majority of people using K7s would never want to open a
machine but there were dedicated hobbyists who would want to tweak
performance to its maximum.

 He said he was unable to confirm the 750MHz K7 Athlon part, but
added: "The K7 core is a great core and its very scalable". ?

source- http://theregister.co.uk/990709-000010.html
-----------------END----------------

--
*remove all the Xs (upper case X) if reply by e mail.
** no more M$ Windoze.

2. Newbie: LILO question

3. Anyone get Linux working under AMD K7 or Carmino Chipset??

4. Shell Provider?...

5. FWD- Socket Eight to S370 convertors coming

6. Linux on a Compaq Presario????

7. AMD K7 info Re: Motorola's G4 PowerPC

8. multipule greps in one grep cmd

9. AMD K7(Athlon) With SUSE 6.2 GPF0

10. Suggestion on Epox Mobo and AMD K7

11. amd k7

12. Does OpenBSD support The K7 AMD's (Those big honking 600mhz processors)

13. AMD K7 (Athlon)