Fdisk 15 GB harddisk gets 1 GB ?

Post by Kheehu » Sat, 04 May 2002 15:38:33

Hi, I have a Western Digital 15 GB harddisk. I installed Linux Red Hat 7.2
on it with several linux partitions and 1 linux swap partition. Working
well. Then I decide to use this harddisk in a win98 system.

I boot up from win98 bootdisk but was unable to fdisk/erase all the linux
partitions. Then I use freedos ffdisk. Can't get rid of the linux
partitions.  I am now left with 1 GB. That is whenever I boot from a win98
disk, I will always see a fat32 1 GB size. Appears that the other 14 GB has
disppaeared somewhere.

I even boot up from disk 1 of RH 7.2 and did the fdisk from there. After I
delete all the kinux partitions and "w" to disk. I quit the installation by
switching off the computer. No go. I still get 1 GB out of a 15 GB harddisk!

Is there any fdisk equivalent utility for me to get back my full harddisk
capability? The computer bios reports a full 15 GB.

Or how do I copy the linux fdisk utility to a DOS boot diskette to use?

Thanks

Post by cll muz » Sat, 04 May 2002 18:36:51

> Hi, I have a Western Digital 15 GB harddisk. I installed Linux Red Hat
> 7.2 on it with several linux partitions and 1 linux swap partition.
> Working well. Then I decide to use this harddisk in a win98 system.

> I boot up from win98 bootdisk but was unable to fdisk/erase all the
> linux partitions. Then I use freedos ffdisk. Can't get rid of the linux
> partitions.  I am now left with 1 GB. That is whenever I boot from a
> win98 disk, I will always see a fat32 1 GB size. Appears that the other
> 14 GB has disppaeared somewhere.

> I even boot up from disk 1 of RH 7.2 and did the fdisk from there. After
> I delete all the kinux partitions and "w" to disk. I quit the
> installation by switching off the computer. No go. I still get 1 GB out
> of a 15 GB harddisk!

> Is there any fdisk equivalent utility for me to get back my full
> harddisk capability? The computer bios reports a full 15 GB.

> Or how do I copy the linux fdisk utility to a DOS boot diskette to use?

> Thanks

Create the windows/DOS partitions using Linux fdisk from linux (The
redhat bootdisk should work for this)
Dos fdisk is almost totally brain-dead.

--
Never trust a man in a suit --
cll

Fdisk 15 GB harddisk gets 1 GB ?

Post by Sinister Midge » Sun, 05 May 2002 11:30:22

On Fri, 03 May 2002 01:38:33 -0500, Kheehua claimed:

Quote:> Hi, I have a Western Digital 15 GB harddisk. I installed Linux Red Hat
> 7.2 on it with several linux partitions and 1 linux swap partition.
> Working well. Then I decide to use this harddisk in a win98 system.

> I boot up from win98 bootdisk but was unable to fdisk/erase all the
> linux partitions. Then I use freedos ffdisk. Can't get rid of the linux
> partitions.  I am now left with 1 GB. That is whenever I boot from a
> win98 disk, I will always see a fat32 1 GB size. Appears that the other
> 14 GB has disppaeared somewhere.

> I even boot up from disk 1 of RH 7.2 and did the fdisk from there. After
> I delete all the kinux partitions and "w" to disk. I quit the
> installation by switching off the computer. No go. I still get 1 GB out
> of a 15 GB harddisk!

> Is there any fdisk equivalent utility for me to get back my full
> harddisk capability? The computer bios reports a full 15 GB.

> Or how do I copy the linux fdisk utility to a DOS boot diskette to use?

> Thanks

You can boot from the install CD, go through to partitioning, choose
fdisk (not Druid) and delete them all. Then reboot into the windoze
installer.

--
Sarcasm is just one of the many services we offer.