mediainit for scsi tape

Post by Robert Meg » Thu, 23 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I have a scsi tape drive that I use on my linux system.  It's just
like the device I have on my hp-ux systems at work and I can take
tapes initialized from the hp-ux system to the linux system.  On
the hp-ux system, I can clean a tape with a utility called mediainit
that initializes the tape in less than 2 minutes.  To erase a tape
from linux take a couple hours.  Is mediainit available for linux?

thanks,

Robert

Breathe in and breathe out,      |          Robert Megee

1. ADAPTEC 1542B DOES NOT RECOGNIZE SCSI TAPE DRIVE AND SCSI TAPE ?

This sounds like an error condition.
No. In all cases the LUN should be "0" since all of the devices that
you have contain imbedded SCSI controllers. The Physical address should be
what each device is strapped as, on the device itself.

You should also run ASPI4DOS and ASPITAPE to get the most out of the
configuration. I have a Wangtek 150 MB tape drive, but I gave up on it - it
is a useless piece of steel and wires. I now use an Archive 2150S.

I hope this helps.

--
---
Michael Burke

Sea Change Corporation
6695 Millcreek Drive, Unit 8
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5N 5R8
Tel: 416-542-9484  Fax: 416-542-9479
UUCP: ...!uunet!uunet.ca!seachg!burke

2. ypsh?

3. SCSI Tape "Unable to get major 9 for SCSI Tapes"

4. fopen/getc problems?

5. Sec. Bulletin: mediainit(1) in HP-UX 9.X & 10.X

6. ppp

7. MEDIAINIT Problems

8. hogging transmitted sk_buff's

9. scsi tape driver I/O error on mag tape

10. SCSI tape & tar: seems the tape got shorter???

11. SCSI Tape hangs when no tape loaded (2.5.6x)

12. Tape utilities for reading IBM packed format tapes from SCSI

13. tape backups, scsi tape drive?