Motif for Linux (cheaper than $149 ????)

Motif for Linux (cheaper than $149 ????)

Post by Jorg Vogl » Sun, 07 Aug 1994 05:06:12

Hi folks,

I wonder whether there is any Motif 1.2.? distribution available which is
cheaper than the SWiM and Metro Link.

Thanks

Joerg

--

Post by Bogdan Ur » Mon, 08 Aug 1994 11:13:05

: Hi folks,

: I wonder whether there is any Motif 1.2.? distribution available which is
: cheaper than the SWiM and Metro Link.

: Thanks

: Joerg

: --

Subject: Re: Motif for Linux (cheaper than $149 ????)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc

: Hi folks,

: I wonder whether there is any Motif 1.2.? distribution available which is
: cheaper than the SWiM and Metro Link.

: Thanks

: Joerg

: --

     I've looked around also, and apparently these are the only 2 companies
which have Motif for Linux. I finally dished out the $149 and bought the
just released SWiM Motif 1.2.4 for Linux. The price may seem high in the
Linux community, where users are used to getting software for free, but in
reality it's very little for such a fine product.

Bogdan

Post by Van Dao M » Wed, 17 Aug 1994 22:39:54

>     I've looked around also, and apparently these are the only 2 companies
>which have Motif for Linux. I finally dished out the $149 and bought the
>just released SWiM Motif 1.2.4 for Linux. The price may seem high in the
>Linux community, where users are used to getting software for free, but in
>reality it's very little for such a fine product.

<<< is there any need for Motif? Is it much better than FVWM windows
manager? I run FVWM and love it for its speed. A bit of time spent in
customisation makes it perfect. Unless there are special software in Motif
that makes the package worth while I would not go for it.

Cheers,

Van Dao
Wollongong University

Post by Seth J. Morabi » Thu, 18 Aug 1994 01:54:32

: >     I've looked around also, and apparently these are the only 2 companies
: >which have Motif for Linux. I finally dished out the $149 and bought the
: >just released SWiM Motif 1.2.4 for Linux. The price may seem high in the
: >Linux community, where users are used to getting software for free, but in
: >reality it's very little for such a fine product.
: <<< is there any need for Motif? Is it much better than FVWM windows
: manager? I run FVWM and love it for its speed. A bit of time spent in
: customisation makes it perfect. Unless there are special software in Motif
: that makes the package worth while I would not go for it.

The reason you would pay $149 for the Motif distribution is not simply
to get the motif window manager, but to get the motif libraries and
includes and widgets that make up the motif API.  I use FVWM myself, and
would probably continue to use it even if I did get the SWiM Motif package,
but if you want to write applications using Motif widgets (for example,
Mosaic -- the menus, slide bars, and dialogue boxes are all motif widgets)
you need the Motif libraries and include files.  THAT's what the money
is for.  And well worth it IMHO.  Unless you yourself are planning on
doing any developing or compiling of apps written with Motif, then you
probably don't want the Motif package.

: Cheers,
: Van Dao
: Wollongong University

-Seth
--

Cornell University Flavoured Leech Processing Center
"Mmmmm... them's DAMN fine leeches!"

Motif for Linux (cheaper than $149 ????)

Post by CL » Thu, 18 Aug 1994 02:13:18

Just a note to sharpen the whole issue of who needs Motif...
The mwm is only a small, even trivial, part of the Motif package.
I can see no reason why someone would pay $149 dollars to get the
window manager. However for development the Motif package provides
a robust package of widgets that is a de facto industry standard.
The Motif package is a development resource that provides resources
for X windows developers. This makes it useful and worth the $149
dollars. After all, it is a commercial development product. If this
bothers you, you should volunteer to help out with the free widget
projects that are trying to develop free Motif look alikes and other
extensions or use tk/tcl. I hope this will clarify the issues and
stop all the post that say "just use *wm" or "why isn't it free".

Chris

Post by Jason Van Patt » Thu, 18 Aug 1994 02:18:37

: <<< is there any need for Motif? Is it much better than FVWM windows
: manager? I run FVWM and love it for its speed. A bit of time spent in
: customisation makes it perfect. Unless there are special software in Motif

        Well, fvwm can be made to look and almost exactly like Motif.  This
is a plus, in my book anyhow.

: that makes the package worth while I would not go for it.

        With the package, you ALSO get the C header files and libraries if I'm
not mistaken.  These don't come with fvwm.  This is a minus, in my book.

        Without these toys, you can't develop/compile Motif-only programs.  Of
course, if you have no plans to do any such compiling.. then fvwm is probably
fine.

                                                Jason

--
Jason Van Patten                  | If at first you don't succeed, keep |
Clarkson University               | on sucking till you do succeed.     |

                                  |                 (The Three Stooges) |
            ** Any opinions expressed here are actually
               yours, you just don't know it, yet. **

Post by Tom Vaugh » Thu, 18 Aug 1994 03:39:43

[...]

        What sort of documentation comes with your version of Motif?

        Thanks, Tom

Post by DAVID L. JOHNS » Thu, 18 Aug 1994 04:56:26

>>     I've looked around also, and apparently these are the only 2 companies
>>which have Motif for Linux. I finally dished out the $149 and bought the
>>just released SWiM Motif 1.2.4 for Linux. The price may seem high in the
>>Linux community, where users are used to getting software for free, but in
>>reality it's very little for such a fine product.
><<< is there any need for Motif? Is it much better than FVWM windows
>manager? I run FVWM and love it for its speed. A bit of time spent in
>customisation makes it perfect. Unless there are special software in Motif
>that makes the package worth while I would not go for it.

To each his/her own.   I like the Motif widgets.  I found that MetroLink's
Motif was very much worth the money.  THe window manager is also good, but
the real appeal is the library, and the programs you can build from it.

Department of Mathematics
Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA 18015       Telephone: 610-758-3759 (office)
                                                        610-828-3708 (home)
MS-DOS: Just say No!

Motif for Linux (cheaper than $149 ????)

Post by Dan Newcom » Thu, 18 Aug 1994 00:02:02

Quote:><<< is there any need for Motif? Is it much better than FVWM windows
>manager? I run FVWM and love it for its speed. A bit of time spent in
>customisation makes it perfect. Unless there are special software in Motif
>that makes the package worth while I would not go for it.

As others have said, with the full package, you can then compile Motif
programs.  But one thing I didn't see mentioned was the shared libraries.
While you can get ahold of statically linked apps, they're memory requirements
will be a lot bigger than that of something that uses the shared libraries.

My .01
        -Dan

--

Clayton State College           Morrow, Georgia
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Post by Chris Bitme » Thu, 18 Aug 1994 09:12:32

>>     I've looked around also, and apparently these are the only 2 companies
>>which have Motif for Linux. I finally dished out the $149 and bought the
>>just released SWiM Motif 1.2.4 for Linux. The price may seem high in the
>>Linux community, where users are used to getting software for free, but in
>>reality it's very little for such a fine product.
><<< is there any need for Motif? Is it much better than FVWM windows
>manager? I run FVWM and love it for its speed. A bit of time spent in
>customisation makes it perfect. Unless there are special software in Motif
>that makes the package worth while I would not go for it.

fvwm is just a window manager. Motif is a widget toolkit (plus a window
manager). Try writing your own motif application or building someone elses
(such as Mosiac) with just fvwm. :)
Quote:>Cheers,
>Van Dao
>Wollongong University

Motif for Linux (cheaper than $149 ????)

Post by Michael Wi » Wed, 24 Aug 1994 02:20:30

Quote:>but if you want to write applications using Motif widgets (for example,
>Mosaic -- the menus, slide bars, and dialogue boxes are all motif widgets)
>you need the Motif libraries and include files.

After getting annoyed by the slowness (almost unusable) of the input-
widget used in Mosaic I don't want to buy anymore.

Ever tried to edit the http-line you can enter by hand
if you press the OPEN-button? Ever moved the cursor to the beginning and tried
to change a word because of a typo? This is annoying. How can people actualy
pay money for that? Or is this a feature of Mosaic alone and not due to
using Motif? (I love Mosaic, best WWW-viewer I ever saw, but this open-box
is killing me)

Quote:>THAT's what the money
>is for.  And well worth it IMHO.  Unless you yourself are planning on

Cheers, Michael Will
--

   .   cs-student in Tuebingen, Germany, Europe, Earth, Solar-System, [...]
 <HR><A HREF="http://wsiserv.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/~will">Click here</A>

Post by John Burt » Thu, 25 Aug 1994 22:30:22

   >but if you want to write applications using Motif widgets (for example,
   >Mosaic -- the menus, slide bars, and dialogue boxes are all motif widgets)
   >you need the Motif libraries and include files.
   After getting annoyed by the slowness (almost unusable) of the input-
   widget used in Mosaic I don't want to buy anymore.

   Ever tried to edit the http-line you can enter by hand
   if you press the OPEN-button? Ever moved the cursor to the beginning and tried
   to change a word because of a typo? This is annoying. How can people actualy
   pay money for that? Or is this a feature of Mosaic alone and not due to
   using Motif? (I love Mosaic, best WWW-viewer I ever saw, but this open-box
   is killing me)

Ummm... I think your problem is more with your system than with Motif
libraries. The statically linked version of Mosaic for Linux is a
*large* application because the Motif libraries (which are statically
linked into Mosaic) are rather large and Mosaic itself has a
substantial amount of code. The Mosaic binary would be smaller if the
Motif libraries could be dynamically linked instead of statically
linked. As with most graphical applications, you need *ALOT* of
memory, ( > 16MB would be good...:-)

John

John Burton

(804) 865-7491 (voice)           (804) 865-1021 (fax)

Motif for Linux (cheaper than $149 ????)

Post by Koert Zeilst » Fri, 26 Aug 1994 09:18:00

[stuff deleted]
: Ummm... I think your problem is more with your system than with Motif
: libraries. The statically linked version of Mosaic for Linux is a
: *large* application because the Motif libraries (which are statically
: linked into Mosaic) are rather large and Mosaic itself has a
: substantial amount of code. The Mosaic binary would be smaller if the
: Motif libraries could be dynamically linked instead of statically
: linked. As with most graphical applications, you need *ALOT* of
: memory, ( > 16MB would be good...:-)

Yes, the binary would be smaller, but the amount of memory needed to run
Mosaic would still be the same. It's just split of in two files, which
are loaded at runtime.

Sorry about this nitpicking...

Koert

Post by Jan Newmar » Sat, 27 Aug 1994 09:16:34

>><<< is there any need for Motif? Is it much better than FVWM windows
>>manager? I run FVWM and love it for its speed. A bit of time spent in
>>customisation makes it perfect. Unless there are special software in Motif
>>that makes the package worth while I would not go for it.
>As others have said, with the full package, you can then compile Motif
>programs.  But one thing I didn't see mentioned was the shared libraries.
>While you can get ahold of statically linked apps, they're memory requirements
>will be a lot bigger than that of something that uses the shared libraries.

The jump tables for building shared libraries for Motif 1.2.2 (?)
onwards are available from Linux archive sites. Anyway, I built shared
libraries from scratch for Motif 1.2.1 and it wasn't hard. No, I am
sorry, I cannot make the libraries available because they are covered by
licensing restrictions.

                        Jan
--
  Jan Newmarch, Information Science and Engineering,
  University of Canberra, PO Box 1, Belconnen, Act 2616

Motif for Linux (cheaper than $149 ????)

Post by Jan Newmar » Sat, 27 Aug 1994 09:20:18

Quote:>The Motif package is a development resource that provides resources
>for X windows developers. This makes it useful and worth the $149
>dollars. After all, it is a commercial development product. If this
>bothers you, you should volunteer to help out with the free widget
>projects that are trying to develop free Motif look alikes and other
>extensions or use tk/tcl. I hope this will clarify the issues and
>stop all the post that say "just use *wm" or "why isn't it free".

If after all this, you still want to use the Motif libraries, then there
are two bindings of Motif to tcl that are legitimately available as
Linux binaries. They are Wafe and tclMotif, and should be on Linux
archive sites. These are applications that have the Motif libraries
statically linked in, but since they run as tcl interpreters they allow
you to access the Motif widgets via tcl code. They are compiled under
licenses that allow them to be distributed for free.

I am the author of tclMotif, just to declare my "vested interest".

                                Jan
--
  Jan Newmarch, Information Science and Engineering,
  University of Canberra, PO Box 1, Belconnen, Act 2616
  Australia. Tel: (Aust) 6-2012422. Fax: (Aust) 6-2015041

1. "VLB SCSI2/IDE Controller DataTek $149" ???

        Saw the following in PC Catalog's gopher:

        > SPECS: Quick Technology VESA Local BUS all in one
        > controller.  SCSI-2 controller, Mode 3 IDE controller
        > with 216550 serial, 1 EPP/ECP parallel, 1 game port.
        > EZ SCSI-2 software, Jumperless, 2 year warranty.
        > DEALER: DataTek Inc.,  5525 East 51st St. #101, Tulsa, OK
        > 74145.  M-F 9-7, Sat 10-4 CST.  FAX: (918)665-8445.
        > TO ORDER CALL: (800)249-2065 or (918)665-6556.

        Looks like an good deal .. but couldn't find it in the
Hardware.howto nor the SCSI.howto ...

        Does anyone have more info on this board, esp. if it is
supported by Linux?  Or does the VLB SCSI/IDE board from A.I.R have
better specs than this one? (anyone has more info on that board? it
lists for $109 in the Shopper .. )

        Any info is appreciated. please cc: in email too. thanks.

whay.

2. Fierced-up partition info; Solution without delete?

3. Motif++ available for linux/Metrolink Motif

4. network class

5. Linux software cheaper for MS users.

6. Help with uninstalling please

7. Sun's Linux PC cheaper

8. Sun 4/490 or Sparc 2's - Which is better?

9. Linux is NOT cheaper then Windows - Official !

10. Linux networks much cheaper than Windows - report

11. Linux is cheaper? Java is Faster?

12. Why Linux is cheaper and better.

13. "Win2k Cheaper than Linux?" MS-paid IDC says!