Ran RHN app and system is gone screwy....

Ran RHN app and system is gone screwy....

Post by JNJ » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:51:40



Well, I ran the RHN app to give this new auto update thang a swing and guess
what?  Now my ETH0 does not initialize, the system cannot find the lib for
2.2.16 (I checked off the 2.2.17 update in the RHN app), I get incorrect
minor/major numbers on removable media, I can no longer access my FAT32
drive through the normal mount (haven't tried manually mounting it yet), and
there are a few other errors during startup.  I also cannot get my pilot to
hotsync.

On the bright side, my system is now finally recognizing the full 512M of
RAM on the system!  <Chuckle>

To say the least, I'm thinking my Redhat 7 installation just went fry-out on
me.  :)  Any quick suggestions before I swack this drive and reinstall from
scratch?

James

 
 
 

Ran RHN app and system is gone screwy....

Post by tech2kjaso » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:01:49



>Well, I ran the RHN app to give this new auto update thang a swing and guess
>what?  Now my ETH0 does not initialize, the system cannot find the lib for
>2.2.16 (I checked off the 2.2.17 update in the RHN app), I get incorrect
>minor/major numbers on removable media, I can no longer access my FAT32
>drive through the normal mount (haven't tried manually mounting it yet), and
>there are a few other errors during startup.  I also cannot get my pilot to
>hotsync.

>On the bright side, my system is now finally recognizing the full 512M of
>RAM on the system!  <Chuckle>

>To say the least, I'm thinking my Redhat 7 installation just went fry-out on
>me.  :)  Any quick suggestions before I swack this drive and reinstall from
>scratch?

>James

The rule is "NEVER use the RHN / up2date to update the kernel"...
Basically, up2date just isn't that smart. A quick fix would be to
repair the references in lilo and /boot to make sure that they point
to the newly installed kernel-2.2.17 which means fixing the symlinks,
and editing lilo.conf. After a reboot into the 2.2.17 kernel, your
system will load the new 2.2.17 libraries and go back to being a happy
camper.

Good luck.

 
 
 

Ran RHN app and system is gone screwy....

Post by JNJ » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 20:40:52


Quote:> The rule is "NEVER use the RHN / up2date to update the kernel"...
> Basically, up2date just isn't that smart. A quick fix would be to
> repair the references in lilo and /boot to make sure that they point
> to the newly installed kernel-2.2.17 which means fixing the symlinks,
> and editing lilo.conf. After a reboot into the 2.2.17 kernel, your
> system will load the new 2.2.17 libraries and go back to being a happy
> camper.

I'm a tad new to this -- any FAQs out there to give some guidance on this?
A thought -- would it be easier to just do a kernel upgrade altogether?  (Is
2.2.17 the latest RH kernel?  I know 2.4.3 is out....)

James

 
 
 

Ran RHN app and system is gone screwy....

Post by Mladen Gavrilovi » Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:20:58



> I'm a tad new to this -- any FAQs out there to give some guidance on this?

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html

http://www.redhat.com/support/manuals/RHL-7-Manual/ref-guide/s1-sysad...

Quote:> A thought -- would it be easier to just do a kernel upgrade
> altogether?

The difficulty would be the same.  If you have a reason for wanting a
new kernel, you should update it.  If you don't, 2.2.17 works fine.

Quote:> (Is
> 2.2.17 the latest RH kernel?  I know 2.4.3 is out....)

Well, it's the updated kernel for RH 7.  In Rawhide the kernel is
"kernel-2.4.2-0.1.28".  In Wolverine (RH 7.1 beta) it is
"kernel-2.4.1-0.1.9".

The links above should explain about editing lilo.conf and such.  If,
after you've read them, you still don't understand something, e-mail me.

Regards,
Mladen

 
 
 

1. i am going to setup linux operating system

i have just recently bought a computer which has got windows 95 as the
operating system ...my question is i want to keep Windows in one
partition and all the stuff in it and partition it so that i can load
Linux in the other partition ...somebody suggested me that i can do that
with
1. partition magic
2. Vfips
so i wanted to know is there a better s/w to do it or else both are just
fine.

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is no harm trying, although you may be 'STINKY', till you enjoy being a
'STINKY'!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. create a socket on a different computer

3. X window gone, X app still running: what's wrong?

4. QLogic Fast!SCSI card??

5. /opt/APP or /usr/bin -- where should RPM binary apps go?

6. hostid on DEC-Alpha running OSF

7. Xinerama has made my Mozilla fonts go screwy!

8. IP Forwarding breaks diald?

9. HELP! Root password's gone screwy.

10. I am with the following error, when i am running lilo...

11. terminal goes screwy after exiting X

12. I am in text mode, what browser am I running....

13. system slows down when app is run from inittab