Xlock don't lock very much

Post by Juan Leon Lahoz Garc » Tue, 04 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Greetings.

I've noticed that xlock doesn't grab the XFree escape keys
Control-Alt-F[1-6]. This means that anybody can enter in
your session, while yor are away.

I found this very annoying. I was able to tell XFree to ignore
the Control_Alt-Backspace combo, by doing man XF86Config and
putting "DontZap" in the config file.

How can I disable also the Control-Alt-F[1-6] combos?

Thanks for your time.

Leon

        server sometimes really s*cks.

Xlock don't lock very much

Post by Lee Magui » Tue, 04 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I've noticed that xlock doesn't grab the XFree escape keys
>Control-Alt-F[1-6]. This means that anybody can enter in
>your session, while yor are away.

if you are using xdm (and are not logged in to any consoles)
then they would still need a password to procede...

there are also console locking programs available on sunsite that
can be set to launch along with xlock.

--

"If only we'd listened to that boy, instead of walling him up in the
 abandoned coke oven."                          -- Monty Burns, 9F15

Xlock don't lock very much

Post by Holger Dunk » Wed, 05 Nov 1997 04:00:00

This is only a problem if you start the x-session from console mode with
startx. And you can solve this by launching X with
"exec startx". By doing so, your console session is finished and switching
to a virtual terminal displays only a login prompt.
(I assume You DO have a password on root )

hope this helps
                Holger Dunkel

>Greetings.
>I've noticed that xlock doesn't grab the XFree escape keys
>Control-Alt-F[1-6]. This means that anybody can enter in
>your session, while yor are away.
>I found this very annoying. I was able to tell XFree to ignore
>the Control_Alt-Backspace combo, by doing man XF86Config and
>putting "DontZap" in the config file.
>How can I disable also the Control-Alt-F[1-6] combos?
>Thanks for your time.
>Leon

>    server sometimes really s*cks.

--

IV. Physikalisches Institut      | Phone: (Germany) 0551/39-7699
37073 Goettingen/Germany         | native language: German

1. xlock with Xsun won't lock display

Hello all,

I am using a Sparc running Solaris 2.5 as an X station and I have a couple
of quick questions for anyone that has time to help out a linux user who
is used to using XFree.

I am logging into a linux box using:

Xsun -query machine.name -once

and I cannot get xlock to lock the display.  When I try I just get a
'can't lock xxx's display'.  Is there a Xsun switch that will let me do
this?  I am using fvwm as a windows manager...

Also,  is there any documentation on the switches for the Xsun server?  I
don't have a man page, and can't find it in the documenation...

And one more quick question,  is there any button combination that will
kill the Xserver like CNTL-ALT-BACKSPACE does with say XFree?

Thanks for your time...

BTW, if you could CC the reply through Email that would be great.  Our
newshost only holds a couple of hours worth of news.

Information Technology Services          University of Western Ontario
PGP-Fingerprint ----- DE C0 E3 F2 66 A6 F1 90  59 7F 1A 80 54 04 CA D6

2. Linux and Cirrus Logic GD62 oooon laptop

3. xlock locks forever, reboot can't umount!

4. Free CGI parser tool

5. XLock doesn't Lock

6. Help with a Digiboard PC/Xi and driver

7. xlock: can not lock foo's display

8. cdrom unrecognized after third HD installed on RH 6.0

9. Solaris x86 Openwin locked, don't know howto unlock

10. Screen Lock don't work (CDE, NIS+)

11. Don't bother to post, was, Re: TEST:don't bother to read

12. Xlock permantly locking! help!

13. Set XLock to lock screen after default time...