Building Kernel on RH 5.1 Sparc

Post by Brian Fernal » Tue, 18 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Has anyone been able to compile the kernel under RH 5.1?  Where does it put
the compressed image? There is nothing in /arch/sparc/boot after doing a
make boot.

I did find a file called vmlinux in /usr/src/linux, however it was 1.6 MB. I
am assuming this is an uncompressed version of the kernel. I tried booting
from it, but the thing froze up.

Any one have any suggestions for building a kernel on the Sparc?

Thanks

Brian Fernald

Post by Ignac » Wed, 19 Aug 1998 04:00:00

 >Has anyone been able to compile the kernel under RH 5.1?  Where does
it put
 >the compressed image? There is nothing in /arch/sparc/boot after
doing a
 >make boot.
 >
 >
 >I did find a file called vmlinux in /usr/src/linux, however it was
1.6 MB. I
 >am assuming this is an uncompressed version of the kernel. I tried
booting
 >from it, but the thing froze up.
 >
 >Any one have any suggestions for building a kernel on the Sparc?
 >
 >Thanks
 >
 >Brian Fernald

Try doing a 'make zImage'. That should put a zImage file in
arch/sparc/boot. At that point, you copy it to /, edit /etc/silo.conf
(?) and run silo.

1. RH Kernel w/5.1 PPP-built in?

Does Red Hat 5.1 have the PPP-software built into the kernel?  I've heard of
a PPP and Internet Configuration program that comes with RH 5.1 Does anyone
know of this?  And if you have a PnP Modem, how do you get it to work with

Thanks a bunch!

2. SLIP problem solved

3. RH 5.1 kernel has built in FAT32 support?

4. ASIACRYPT'94 - Call for Participation

5. RH 5.1 kernel building

6. SSH 2.4 on rh7

7. RH 5.1 -> kernel 2.1.122 , kernel panic

8. gdb slow to start up

9. building RH 5.1 installation floppies

10. RH 5.1/Sparc on Sun IPX

11. Q: installing RH 5.1 SPARC

12. RH 5.1 for Sparc

13. RH 5.1 SPARC