Can only access web server using IP number not host name...why?

Can only access web server using IP number not host name...why?

Post by Mike Varle » Sat, 11 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi

I've got Apache running on my Linux box and also
Netscape. I can access the web pages on the server
using the host name. If I login from a PC and run
Netscape I have to use the IP address of the server
to access the pages. Is this to do with DNS and if
so what do I have to do to allow me to use the host
name instead?

Cheers

Mike Varley
--
         `\|||/'
          (o o)

Post by B.A.McCau.. » Sat, 11 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>If I login from a PC and run
>Netscape I have to use the IP address of the server
>to access the pages. Is this to do with DNS...

It is.

Quote:>                                         ... and if
>so what do I have to do to allow me to use the host
>name instead?

Assuming the PC can access other web servers by name then you talk to
your network manager who controls your local DNS servers about
registering your server.  If the PC can't access any servers by name
you should tell it where it can find a DNS server.

Quote:>-------ooO_(_)_Ooo---------|Mike Varley, Network Manager

If you *are* the network manager then you should talk to yourself :-)

Better still you sould read up on setting up a nameserver.

Post by yzh.. » Sat, 11 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Hi

> I've got Apache running on my Linux box and also
> Netscape. I can access the web pages on the server
> using the host name. If I login from a PC and run
> Netscape I have to use the IP address of the server
> to access the pages. Is this to do with DNS and if

[snip]
If I understand correctly, you can only access the page by IP from a nonlocal
computer... This is ALWAYS true unless you have your domain name registered
with InterNIC (I believe that's the place). The reason why your own machine can
access it by the name is because there is a alias for it in your /etc/hosts
file. Domain name registratation costs something around $50 dollars a year if I
remember correctly, and of course no one else can have that domain name
already. Remember, no one on the Internet knows what name you chose for your
own Linux box...

Hope this helps,
MZ33062

1. htaccess problems with host names, but not IP numbers

Hi all,

Does anyone know why IP numbers work when allowing or denying
visitors to directories, while host names do not?

The NCSA docs say either should work.

THIS WORKS:

<Limit GET>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from 111.222.
</Limit>

THIS DOESN'T WORK (at least not on my host's server):

<Limit GET>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from provider.com
</Limit>

If you have the answer, please e-mail it to me as well! Thanks!

Kit Watkins

2. Where nsrcap store enabler code ?

3. Host IP number instead of host name ?

4. ISDN - internal/external ?

5. .htaccess, domain name access works with numbers, not names

6. NTFS 2.0.10: Limit inodes to 2^32 - 1

7. Using both /etc/hosts and domain name server to get host addrs

8. SSH running in jail

9. Returned mail: Host unknown (Name server: yy.laketaylor.org: host not found)

10. Can't ping the host name or host IP address from host.

11. No route to host and IP numbers with no domain names

12. NCSA access log: numeric ip vs name. Why?

13. LAN using both IP numbers and names