XWindows Server

Post by Jeff Grossma » Sun, 30 May 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I want to run Xwindows from a telnet session under Windows98.  What is a
good Xwindows Server?  And how do I make it work?  I am running Redhat 6.0.

Thanks,
Jeff

--

XWindows Server

Post by D. Vrabe » Sun, 30 May 1999 04:00:00

> I want to run Xwindows from a telnet session under Windows98.  What is a
> good Xwindows Server?  And how do I make it work?  I am running Redhat 6.0.

As far as I know there are no free X servers for Microsoft Windows.  I
use Hummingbird's Exceed here at univeristy.

Once you've set up the server point it at your linux box.  Telnet in the
the linux box.  Set the DISPLAY environment variable to the Windows
machine (eg DISPLAY="fred.bloggs.org:0").  Start you clients.

You'll probably has to mess with security permissions.  There are too
methods MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE and xhost.  I'm not to sure abut how they work
but here it goes...

xhost - a list of trusted machines that the server will only
client connections from.  This is only suitable for closed networks.

MIT-[etc] - Negotiation between server and client generates a magic key.
Only clients holding this magic key can connect.  I don't know exactly how
the client machine does this.  (The university machines here use xdm to
generate the key).  This is the recommened method.

David Vrabel

XWindows Server

Post by Jeff Grossma » Sun, 30 May 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the help.

--

> > I want to run Xwindows from a telnet session under Windows98.  What is a
> > good Xwindows Server?  And how do I make it work?  I am running Redhat
6.0.
> As far as I know there are no free X servers for Microsoft Windows.  I
> use Hummingbird's Exceed here at univeristy.

> Once you've set up the server point it at your linux box.  Telnet in the
> the linux box.  Set the DISPLAY environment variable to the Windows
> machine (eg DISPLAY="fred.bloggs.org:0").  Start you clients.

> You'll probably has to mess with security permissions.  There are too
> methods MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE and xhost.  I'm not to sure abut how they work
> but here it goes...

> xhost - a list of trusted machines that the server will only
> client connections from.  This is only suitable for closed networks.

> MIT-[etc] - Negotiation between server and client generates a magic key.
> Only clients holding this magic key can connect.  I don't know exactly how
> the client machine does this.  (The university machines here use xdm to
> generate the key).  This is the recommened method.

> David Vrabel

XWindows Server

Post by Jeff Grossma » Sun, 30 May 1999 04:00:00

I almost got it running.  I got the log-in screen, but I enter my log-in but
nothing happens.  It displays the login screen again after a few seconds.

Jeff

--

> >Hello,

> >I want to run Xwindows from a telnet session under Windows98.  What is a
> >good Xwindows Server?  And how do I make it work?  I am running Redhat
6.0.

> >Thanks,
> >Jeff

> >--

> take a look at http://www.msu.edu/~mulksc/LinuxHints

XWindows Server

Post by Eirik Wilber » Mon, 31 May 1999 04:00:00

Telnet is text, xwindows is graphics.. no go for that... get vnc
Jeff Grossman skrev i meldingen ...
>Hello,

>I want to run Xwindows from a telnet session under Windows98.  What is a
>good Xwindows Server?  And how do I make it work?  I am running Redhat 6.0.

>Thanks,
>Jeff

>--

XWindows Server

Post by Jim Orfanako » Mon, 31 May 1999 04:00:00

There is a shareware product called X-Win32.  It works great.  The only
limitation is that only one session per sub-net can run at a time, and only
for two hours at a time.  Once you pay, the limitations are lifted.

> Hello,

> I want to run Xwindows from a telnet session under Windows98.  What is a
> good Xwindows Server?  And how do I make it work?  I am running Redhat
6.0.

> Thanks,
> Jeff

> --

XWindows Server

Post by D. Vrabe » Mon, 31 May 1999 04:00:00

> Telnet is text, xwindows is graphics.. no go for that... get vnc

Actually you can run X clients from a telnet session if you redirect the
display to a running server (usually where you telnet'd from).

> Jeff Grossman skrev i meldingen ...
> >Hello,

> >I want to run Xwindows from a telnet session under Windows98.  What is a
> >good Xwindows Server?  And how do I make it work?  I am running Redhat 6.0.

> >Thanks,
> >Jeff

> >--

David Vrabel
Engineering Undergraduate at University of Cambridge, UK.

XWindows Server

Post by Charles Mul » Mon, 31 May 1999 04:00:00

>Hello,

>I want to run Xwindows from a telnet session under Windows98.  What is a
>good Xwindows Server?  And how do I make it work?  I am running Redhat 6.0.

>Thanks,
>Jeff

>--

take a look at http://www.msu.edu/~mulksc/LinuxHints

XWindows Server

Post by adam howar » Mon, 31 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> There is a shareware product called X-Win32.  It works great.  The only
> limitation is that only one session per sub-net can run at a time, and
only
> for two hours at a time.  Once you pay, the limitations are lifted.

This one is available from starnet.com, i believe.

There is another X server not time limited available from
www.microimages.com

XWindows Server

Post by Jeff Grossma » Mon, 31 May 1999 04:00:00

Yes, I have that one also.  I was unable to get that one working at all.

Thanks,
Jeff

--

Quote:> > There is a shareware product called X-Win32.  It works great.  The only
> > limitation is that only one session per sub-net can run at a time, and
> only
> > for two hours at a time.  Once you pay, the limitations are lifted.

> This one is available from starnet.com, i believe.

> There is another X server not time limited available from
> www.microimages.com

XWindows Server

Post by David Watso » Tue, 01 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> I almost got it running.  I got the log-in screen, but I enter my log-in but
> nothing happens.  It displays the login screen again after a few seconds.

> Jeff

> --

> > >Hello,

> > >I want to run Xwindows from a telnet session under Windows98.  What is a
> > >good Xwindows Server?  And how do I make it work?  I am running Redhat
> 6.0.

> > >Thanks,
> > >Jeff

> > >--

> > take a look at http://www.msu.edu/~mulksc/LinuxHints

There is problem with gdm in the RedHat 6.0 release which stops xdcmp working
properly.

I changed to xdm and no problem.

As root :

cd /etc/X11
rm prefdm
ln -s ../../usr/X11R6/bin/xdm prefdm
/sbin/telinit 3 ; /sbin/telinit 5

cheers
Dave

XWindows Server

Post by Frank Waarsenbur » Tue, 01 Jun 1999 04:00:00

MicroImages offer a free X-server. Not very flashy, but working fine for me.
Have a look at http://www.microimages.com/freestuf/mix/mix.cgi

Frank

> There is a shareware product called X-Win32.  It works great.  The only
> limitation is that only one session per sub-net can run at a time, and only
> for two hours at a time.  Once you pay, the limitations are lifted.

> > Hello,

> > I want to run Xwindows from a telnet session under Windows98.  What is a
> > good Xwindows Server?  And how do I make it work?  I am running Redhat
> 6.0.

> > Thanks,
> > Jeff

> > --

XWindows Server

Post by Jeff Grossma » Tue, 01 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I could not get the MicroImages one to work for me.  How did you get it to
work?

Thanks,
Jeff

--

> MicroImages offer a free X-server. Not very flashy, but working fine for
me.
> Have a look at http://www.microimages.com/freestuf/mix/mix.cgi

> Frank

> > There is a shareware product called X-Win32.  It works great.  The only
> > limitation is that only one session per sub-net can run at a time, and
only
> > for two hours at a time.  Once you pay, the limitations are lifted.

> > > Hello,

> > > I want to run Xwindows from a telnet session under Windows98.  What is
> > > good Xwindows Server?  And how do I make it work?  I am running Redhat
> > 6.0.

> > > Thanks,
> > > Jeff

> > > --

XWindows Server

Post by Anthony J. Gabrielso » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

try this line : xterm -bg black -fg cyan -display your ip:0 &

Anthony

> > I almost got it running.  I got the log-in screen, but I enter my log-in but
> > nothing happens.  It displays the login screen again after a few seconds.

> > Jeff

> > --

> > 6.0.

> > > take a look at http://www.msu.edu/~mulksc/LinuxHints

> There is problem with gdm in the RedHat 6.0 release which stops xdcmp working
> properly.

> I changed to xdm and no problem.

> As root :

> cd /etc/X11
> rm prefdm
> ln -s ../../usr/X11R6/bin/xdm prefdm
> /sbin/telinit 3 ; /sbin/telinit 5

> cheers
> Dave

XWindows Server

Post by Michael P. Plezber » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

You might want to check out VNC
(http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/index.html).
It allows you to view a virtual X server on an MS Windows desktop, or a
remote Windows desktop on an X server, or either one in a Java browser
(or even Windows on Windows or X on X).

I've been having some trouble with color mapping when using
Enlightenment, but other than that it works great.  A little slower than
a native X server might be, but certainly usable (for me).

   Michael

> Hello,

> I want to run Xwindows from a telnet session under Windows98.  What is a
> good Xwindows Server?  And how do I make it work?  I am running Redhat 6.0.

> Thanks,
> Jeff

> --

Graduate Student                   http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~plezbert/
Department of Computer Science
Washington University in St. Louis

1. FS: PC Xwindows server - PC-Xware 3.0 $250

PC-Xware Suite 3.0 for Windows
Single-user, Standard Version
=============================

Xwindows server for Windows
Price $250 U.S.

- Has never been used
  (still shrink-wrapped)

- Packaging a little bruised,
  but still intact.

- Currently retails for $545
  at NCD web site:
  http://www.ncd.com/ppcx/ppcxorder.html

- May be able to upgrade to Version 5.0
  for $199 with serial # (included)

- Download a trial version from:
  http://www.ncd.com/ppcx/ppcxeval.html

Sellers Conditions:
===================
Buyer agrees to pay actual shipping costs
(UPS or Postal) and a $5.00 packing fee.
Buyer is to prepay total amount by
postal money order in U.S. funds. No C.O.D.

contact seller by e-mail at:

2. fetchmail not always fetching

3. need xwindows server for mswindows 95

4. Re-routing URL requests

5. Commerical xwindow servers

6. CGI Mail Problem

7. xwindows server hacking

8. Linux Busmouse HOWTO (part 1/1)

9. Need an Xwindows server for a pc

10. xwindows server for tgui9420dgi (Trident chipset) video?

11. MI/X Xwindows Server free version

12. Help!! Setting up OpenWindows as an Xwindows Server

13. need xwindows server for mswindows 95