Why are things so screwy ??

Post by vod » Mon, 28 Jun 1999 04:00:00

hi there,

These dayz i spend more time *trying* to get things to
work on Linux than actually doing anything productive.
It seems almost 80% of time is spent trying to compile *tar_gz
files and rpm'ing rpms that i download.
And more than half the times they dont compile straight-away.

------
eg: 1.
I wanted to install ghostview on my machine .
So i did "rpm -i gv*..rpm".
I got error saying failed dependecy libXaw3d.so.6
or whatever..not found

So i checked rpm -qal|grep 'libXaw3d'
and got /usr/lib.../libxaw3d..
i suppoes that means i have the file on my system.

Why is it then that i am getting 'failed dependecy libXaw3d.so.6' error.

------
eg: 2.
I wanted to install cooledit (a texteditor/IDE).
I downloaded all the required files.
Unzipped and un-tarred the files
Actually went thru the README and INSTALL files.
Made sure i has all the required libraries gtk and glibc etc
and the required versions.

Then i did:
./configure ## no errors reported here
make

then all hell broke loose and it spat the following errors at me:

gcc -O2 -s -Wall -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -I/usr/X11R6/include
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -o .libs/cooledit cooledit.o find.o editoptions.o
mancmd.o
options.o debug.o cooleditmenus.o shell.o mail.o complete.o manpage.o
percentsubs.o _coolpython.o ../widget/.libs/libCw.so -lX11 -Wl,--rpath
-Wl,/usr/local/lib
cooledit.o: In function  serone_handler':
cooledit.o(.text+0x26): undefined reference to  cgettext__'
cooledit.o(.text+0x62): undefined reference to  cgettext__'
cooledit.o: In function  uit_handler':
cooledit.o(.text+0xe6): undefined reference to  cgettext__'
cooledit.o: In function  et_next_hint_message':
cooledit.o(.text+0x1fa): undefined reference to  cgettext__'
cooledit.o(.text+0x234): undefined reference to  cgettext__'
cooledit.o(.text+0x2a0): more undefined references to  cgettext__'
follow
make[2]: *** [cooledit] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory /usr/local/cooledit-3.10.0/editor'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory /usr/local/cooledit-3.10.0'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

Why is giving me the above mentioned error even though i have the
required libraries.? And if the libraires were not there or not the
required
version why didnt "configure" mention those errors or inadequecy?

------
these are just few of the un-successful attempts that i had to face.

------
The common cause seems to be make utility or rpms not being able to find
the
libraries even though they are there.
What can be done to remedy this, what are the possible ways to tell rpm
package where to look for libraries.?

------
Why is there so much inconsistency  in the requirement of
the libraries that are needed by programs to compile.
Almost every program i download seems to require its own
set of libraries and versions of the same.

And i would request developers to post binaries, it would
save such a lot of time for persons who want to do some
work at Linux rather than spend dayz trying to figure how
to configure and compile.

======
Any tips or solutions or comments to my above mentioned problems would
be
very welcome and much appreciated.

--regards--
 -V0D-

* I am running  Redhat 5.2 .

Why are things so screwy ??

Post by Andre Poeni » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

: Why is it then that i am getting 'failed dependecy libXaw3d.so.6' error.

Maybe you got your libXaw3d installed some other way than by using rpm.
rpm seems to be a bit ignorant sometimes ;--)

If you are sure, everything is on your system, you might as well try

    rpm -i --nodeps ___.rpm

: cooledit.o(.text+0x26): undefined reference to  cgettext__'

Look like "gettext" is not installed.

: required libraries.? And if the libraires were not there or not the
: required version why didnt "configure" mention those errors or inadequecy?|

Because configure scripts do not check everything. Probably something on
you system made the script believe that gettext was ok but eventually it
wasn't. Maybe configure did not check at all...

Andre'

PS:
: Any tips or solutions or comments to my above mentioned problems would
: be very welcome and much appreciated.

I wonder how much feedback you really expect given your invalid
email address...

--
Andre' Poenitz, TU Chemnitz, Fakultaet fuer Mathematik