J2ME : "bad interpreter"

Post by Risto Kauppil » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 02:18:09

Hi, I'm trying to install the binary release of Sun's J2ME wireless
toolkit in my SuSE 8.0 Pro and the install fails with the message:
"bad interpreter, permission denied". What does that mean?
I think that the file j2me_wireless_toolkit-1_0_4_01-bin-linuxi386.bin
(about 9 Mb) is executable.
rike

J2ME : "bad interpreter"

Post by Paul Lutu » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 04:48:20

> Hi, I'm trying to install the binary release of Sun's J2ME wireless
> toolkit in my SuSE 8.0 Pro and the install fails with the message: "bad
> interpreter, permission denied". What does that mean?

Find out what "interpreter" the file requires. Look at the first line of
the file:

# head -3 (file name)

Do it this way, because at 9 MB, the file is too large to conveniently
edit.

Does the interpreter exist? Do you have permission to run it? Is its
location correct in the file's first line?

Quote:> I think that the file j2me_wireless_toolkit-1_0_4_01-bin-linuxi386.bin
> (about 9 Mb) is executable.

"I think"? Why not check?

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

J2ME : "bad interpreter"

Post by Ken Bloo » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 08:11:35

> > Hi, I'm trying to install the binary release of Sun's J2ME wireless
> > toolkit in my SuSE 8.0 Pro and the install fails with the message:
> > "bad interpreter, permission denied". What does that mean?

> Find out what "interpreter" the file requires. Look at the first line
> of the file:

> # head -3 (file name)

> Do it this way, because at 9 MB, the file is too large to conveniently
> edit.

> Does the interpreter exist? Do you have permission to run it? Is its
> location correct in the file's first line?

> > I think that the file
> > j2me_wireless_toolkit-1_0_4_01-bin-linuxi386.bin(about 9 Mb) is
> > executable.

> "I think"? Why not check?

Another question along these lines: are you sure you're not downloading
onto a FAT partition with "noexec" set? That will cause "bad
interpreter" errors when you try to execute files.

J2ME : "bad interpreter"

Post by Risto Kauppil » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 15:29:52

>>Hi, I'm trying to install the binary release of Sun's J2ME wireless
>>toolkit in my SuSE 8.0 Pro and the install fails with the message: "bad
>>interpreter, permission denied". What does that mean?

> Find out what "interpreter" the file requires. Look at the first line of
> the file:

> # head -3 (file name)

this produces:
#!/bin/sh
more << "EOF"

/bin/sh is linked with bash in my system. Changing to root doesn't help.
Should I try Korn shell?

Quote:> Do it this way, because at 9 MB, the file is too large to conveniently
> edit.

> Does the interpreter exist? Do you have permission to run it? Is its
> location correct in the file's first line?

>>I think that the file j2me_wireless_toolkit-1_0_4_01-bin-linuxi386.bin
>>(about 9 Mb) is executable.

> "I think"? Why not check?

J2ME : "bad interpreter"

Post by Paul Lutu » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 15:41:17

/ ...

Quote:> /bin/sh is linked with bash in my system. Changing to root doesn't help.
> Should I try Korn shell?

Read my entire message. Every word. Did you make the file executable?

Here are the instructions, spelled out explicitly:

# chmod +x j2me_wireless_toolkit-1_0_4_01-bin-linuxi386.bin

Post by Risto Kauppil » Wed, 18 Dec 2002 17:48:01

> / ...

>>/bin/sh is linked with bash in my system. Changing to root doesn't help.
>>Should I try Korn shell?

> Read my entire message. Every word. Did you make the file executable?

> Here are the instructions, spelled out explicitly:

> # chmod +x j2me_wireless_toolkit-1_0_4_01-bin-linuxi386.bin

> # ./j2me_wireless_toolkit-1_0_4_01-bin-linuxi386.bin

Thanks! The file lacked execution bits.