Question about DNS

Post by nerk » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 10:01:27

I want to resolve Domain name :A.com to domain name B.com ,not to IP ,and
let b.com do the next job.
how can I config the DNS?

DNS Server: (linux)

nerk

Question about DNS

Post by Bob Hauc » Wed, 16 Jan 2002 02:09:57

> I want to resolve Domain name :A.com to domain name B.com ,not to IP ,and
> let b.com do the next job.

Use a CNAME record for a that points to b.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

Question about DNS

Post by Ian Northeas » Wed, 16 Jan 2002 04:34:40

> > I want to resolve Domain name :A.com to domain name B.com ,not to IP ,and
> > let b.com do the next job.

> Use a CNAME record for a that points to b.

That is not legal. If a name has a CNAME record it may not have any
other data. This includes an SOA and NS records. A domain name must have
SOA and NS records. The only way to do this is to use an A record with
the same value as b.com's A record.

Some nameservers permit this misconfiguration. Don't do it, you will
regret it.

This only applies to the name of the domain itself. There is nothing
wrong with having e.g. www.a.com as a CNAME, as long as it has no other
records.

Regards, Ian

Question about DNS

Post by Eduardo R. E » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 03:46:37

Quote:> I want to resolve Domain name :A.com to domain name B.com ,not to IP ,and
> let b.com do the next job.
> how can I config the DNS?

> DNS Server: (linux)

> nerk

    Could you be more explicit? I have now started to configure a DNS, and
if your intention is redirect one of the hosts under your DNS to other I
think that a solution could be using a CNAME entry in the zone description
file, something like:
A.com.        CNAME    B.com.

The ending dots are important if you are referring to the full name because
if you dont write them the names would be considered as canonical names and
would be added to the full name:
    imagine you have domain.com and the host is A.domain.com  ...
    A.domain.com  ---> would be A.domain.com.domain.com
    A.domain.com. ---> would be A.domain.com  (your domain domain.com would
not be added)

    I hope this helps you

1. ifconfig question and DNS/DIG question

Hello,

Thanks for reading this posting!

I have two questions.

In slackware linux (not sure about other releases), typing ifconfig
without any switches displays your Network interfaces.  Among the output
of the command for each interface is; packets TX and packets RX.  I need
either one of two things.  I need to know how big a packet is?  How many
bytes, et cetera.  I don't think there is a way to do this however, I
have a feeling after some digging around that data packets can be of
varying size.  If this is the case, I need to know if there is a utility
that shows total transmitted bytes and received bytes since the
interface's been initialized/brought up.  We're having some problems
with our ISP regarding billing and our metered T1!  In AIX there's the
entstat command.  A command like this for Linux would be perfect!
Thanks.

Second, is anyone else running DNS/BIND having trouble getting an
updated list/keeping thier db.cache file current??  The HOWTO files on
DNS recommend running the following command:

I'm getting the following output:

res_nsend to server rs.internic.net  198.41.0.6: Connection timed out

I've ftp'd to thier site but am confused about which file to get!  A
friend of mine has a shell account at her school, I've tried this from
thier machine with the same results, so I don't think it's just me.
I've been using the above dig command in a script for more than a year
now.  Anyone know what's going on/an alternative?

Thanks!

--
John Emery
System Administrator

Sue Mills, Inc.
1840 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94102

http://www.suemills.com

2. Problem connecting my RH9 to anything

3. Question About DNS

4. Unmounting unreachable NFS mount

5. Question about DNS and Telnet interaction

6. kde terminal problems

7. newbie questions on dns, ftp and telnet

8. make command

9. Some beginner questions about DNS in Linux.

10. Question with DNS - CNAME errors

11. Question on DNS

12. A question about DNS!

13. Questions about DNS/BIND and NIS