redhat glibc dist - where the heck is posix lib?

redhat glibc dist - where the heck is posix lib?

Post by bill » Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:08:33

Hi,

I posted this a while ago, someone answered but the
messages had gone stale on my news server so I didn't
get to see it and I'm stil curious.. I'd appreciate if you
could copy my email if you know the answer...

I was trying to build the latest version of perl on
my redhat i386 7.0 system.  I had applied all the latest
security updates to it and when I tried to configure perl,
it said it couldn't fine libposix and that I had a big problem

I searched around for it and found it under

/usr/i386-gibc21-linux/lib

copied it into /usr/lib

and then the perl build was happy... but I am unclear what
this dir tree is for???  When I applied the RedHat security
updates, it did update my glibc to 2.2-12... I am no expert about how
rpm really works, so I'm not sure if this is left over from the
old version of glibc or what, but then why isn't libposix with the
new version? I though posix was kinda central to the whole thing...

Any insight into this would be appreciated...

Thanks

Bill

redhat glibc dist - where the heck is posix lib?

Post by Paul Kimo » Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:04:13

[posted and e-mailed]

> I was trying to build the latest version of perl on
> my redhat i386 7.0 system.  I had applied all the latest
> security updates to it and when I tried to configure perl,
> it said it couldn't fine libposix and that I had a big problem

> I searched around for it and found it under

> /usr/i386-gibc21-linux/lib

This looks like a location for glibc-2.1 files (as opposed to glibc-2.2).

Quote:> copied it into /usr/lib

> and then the perl build was happy... but I am unclear what
> this dir tree is for???  When I applied the RedHat security
> updates, it did update my glibc to 2.2-12...

I believe that there is a libposix.a in glibc-2.1, but not in glibc-2.2.

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,