how to fix bad blocks on flawed hd

Post by gabe johnso » Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I have quite a few bad blocks on my hard drive, I don't know
how to fix it, and it's driving me crazy! I have a complete backup,
so reformatting the drive is not a concern, it's just that i don't know
how to do that without going through one of those spiffy install deals,
with the prepackaged kernel and ramdisks and blah blah.  All I need to
know is how to boot from a floppy without having to mount the hard
drive.  I've tried a number of things, including this:
rdev vmlinuz /dev/fd0
cp vmlunuz /dev/fd0
(at which point it asks me if i want to overwrite the floppy, to which
I say yes)
this floppy boots, but gives me something like this(not exactly):
AX: C003
BX: D00A
CX: 90AE
DX: 4242
you get the point.  it just prints that out over and over.  I guess the
problem stems from the fact that i'm fuzzy on the whole
mounting-the-root-filesystem and what exactly that means. Once I do
mount from the floppy, mke2fs is still living on the HD.  So i still
have problems with that one, too...
If anybody has any remedies to this, i'd really really appreciate any
help.

-gabe

ps
email is good

Post by Sylvain Robitail » Mon, 07 Apr 1997 05:00:00

>I have quite a few bad blocks on my hard drive, I don't know
>how to fix it, and it's driving me crazy! I have a complete backup,
>so reformatting the drive is not a concern, it's just that i don't know
>how to do that without going through one of those spiffy install deals,
>with the prepackaged kernel and ramdisks and blah blah.  All I need to
>know is how to boot from a floppy without having to mount the hard
>drive.  I've tried a number of things, including this:
>rdev vmlinuz /dev/fd0
>cp vmlunuz /dev/fd0
>(at which point it asks me if i want to overwrite the floppy, to which
>I say yes)
>this floppy boots, but gives me something like this(not exactly):
>AX: C003
>BX: D00A
>CX: 90AE
>DX: 4242
>you get the point.  it just prints that out over and over.  I guess the
>problem stems from the fact that i'm fuzzy on the whole
>mounting-the-root-filesystem and what exactly that means. Once I do
>mount from the floppy, mke2fs is still living on the HD.  So i still
>have problems with that one, too...
>If anybody has any remedies to this, i'd really really appreciate any
>help.

I keep my install floppies around for just this sort of thing. Usually I don't
need the most current kernel if I'm booting from the floppy, (which is in
emergencies only), so I don't worry too much about which kernel the floppy
has, just that it uses a root floppy as well, which is already set up, and
contains some handy system administration tools as it is.

So my suggestion is to use your installation floppies, with a root floppy,
then you can use the available tools to manipulate your hard disk.

Hope that helps...

Quote:>ps
>email is good

Usenet is better. More people benefit.

Sylvain Robitaille

Vital papers will demonstrate their vitality by spontaneously moving
from where you left them to where you can't find them.

1. Finding out if there are bad blocks in the bad blocks list

Hi

I'm trying to find out whether there are any bad blocks in the ext2fs
bad block list. I think there might be, because I had a whole lot of
ext2fs error messages popping up during a compile, and when I removed
the directory I was working with and ran e2fsck -cf /dev/hdc6, it told
me the filesystem was modified, even though none of the regular checks
had failed (I'd previously run e2fsck -f /dev/hdc6, so all the duplicate
blocks and unattached inodes and stuff had been sorted out). I think the
drive might still be under warranty, so if there are bad blocks I'll
take it back.

TIA
Bruce
--
Please remove the ".nospam" from my address before replying
| Bruce Merry (Entropy)            | bmerry at iafrica dot com       |

2. XFree86 Problems

3. How do you add a bad block to e2fs bad block list?

4. Simple routing problem

5. 3.2.4 w/ bad blocks & a scsi hd

6. Error detection on ethernet adapter.

7. How can I fsck a HD with bad super block

8. VLSM (variable length subnet masking) in Solaris 2.6

9. marke HD blocks as bad?

10. Installing Linux on a HD with Bad Blocks, Possible?

11. I/O errors on HD but no bad blocks

12. HD Bad Block Check reliability

13. bad blocks on HD