Resize linux partition w/ Partition Magic!!

Post by John Thompso » Mon, 05 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Hi, I am a new linux user, using RH 6.0:

>     Recently, I have resized my linux partition with Partition Magic 4.
> After that, I can no longer boot into my linux partition without the use
> of linux floppy boot disk. I can dual boot my machine before using the
> PQ4 to resize my linux partitioin. I have NT installed and use NT OS
> loader to daul boot my machine. If I use the NT OS loader to boot into
> linux, it hangs on the prompt: "LI" and nothing goes on. Well, my linux
> works fine if I use the floppy to boot in!! Any ideas to fix the
> problem?

When you resized your linux partition it probably changed
the location of the kernel so lilo no longer can find it to
boot from the HD.  Just boot from your floppy and re-run
lilo to write the changes to the boot record and you should
be able to boot from the HD again.

--

Post by Alleyoop Sa » Tue, 06 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi, I am a new linux user, using RH 6.0:

    Recently, I have resized my linux partition with Partition Magic 4.
After that, I can no longer boot into my linux partition without the use
of linux floppy boot disk. I can dual boot my machine before using the
PQ4 to resize my linux partitioin. I have NT installed and use NT OS
loader to daul boot my machine. If I use the NT OS loader to boot into
linux, it hangs on the prompt: "LI" and nothing goes on. Well, my linux
works fine if I use the floppy to boot in!! Any ideas to fix the
problem? Pls

Thx for you help.

Resize linux partition w/ Partition Magic!!

Post by Charles Sulliva » Tue, 06 Jul 1999 04:00:00

If you just resized a partition and are _sure_ that the kernel still resides
below the 1024 cylinder boundary, then simply rerunning /sbin/lilo (as root)
ought to restore your ability to boot from the HD.

>Hi, I am a new linux user, using RH 6.0:

>    Recently, I have resized my linux partition with Partition Magic 4.
>After that, I can no longer boot into my linux partition without the use
>of linux floppy boot disk. I can dual boot my machine before using the
>PQ4 to resize my linux partitioin. I have NT installed and use NT OS
>loader to daul boot my machine. If I use the NT OS loader to boot into
>linux, it hangs on the prompt: "LI" and nothing goes on. Well, my linux
>works fine if I use the floppy to boot in!! Any ideas to fix the
>problem? Pls

>Thx for you help.

Resize linux partition w/ Partition Magic!!

Post by Charles Sulliva » Tue, 06 Jul 1999 04:00:00

If you want to boot with LILO on the hard drive, the kernel must be
entirely below cyl 1024.  The usual way of insuring this is to
create a small /boot partition of about 10-15 Meg below this boundary
which contains the kernel and a couple of other small files.  The rest
of Linux can be anywhere.

If you can't arrange to have this /boot partition, you can also boot
Linux by running LOADLIN.EXE from a DOS partition.  Then the kernel
can reside anywhere, so long as it's accessible by DOS.

Regards,
Charles

>Hi Charles,

>I have run into problem that the partition is more than 1024 in LBA mode.
Then,

Post by Mohamad Termiz » Wed, 07 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi Charles,

I have run into problem that the partition is more than 1024 in LBA mode. Then,
I have the problem of installing the LILO.

Any tricks on how to overcome this problem?

TIA

> If you just resized a partition and are _sure_ that the kernel still resides
> below the 1024 cylinder boundary, then simply rerunning /sbin/lilo (as root)
> ought to restore your ability to boot from the HD.

> >Hi, I am a new linux user, using RH 6.0:

> >    Recently, I have resized my linux partition with Partition Magic 4.
> >After that, I can no longer boot into my linux partition without the use
> >of linux floppy boot disk. I can dual boot my machine before using the
> >PQ4 to resize my linux partitioin. I have NT installed and use NT OS
> >loader to daul boot my machine. If I use the NT OS loader to boot into
> >linux, it hangs on the prompt: "LI" and nothing goes on. Well, my linux
> >works fine if I use the floppy to boot in!! Any ideas to fix the
> >problem? Pls

> >Thx for you help.

1. Moving/Resizing Linux (ext2) partitions with Partition Magic: It works!

This is a success story - I didn't think it would work, but it did.  I did a
fairly complex set of operations (shrinking the FAT partition, moving the
extended partition, deleting one swap partition - resizing another one, and
moving/resizing the ext2 [Linux boot] partition), all in one Pmagic session,
and it worked just fine.

And here's the thing that's amazing: I did not have to re-run LILO - the
thing just booted up fine.  This totally amazed me, except for the fact that
this was a "LILO in the partition - booted by some other boot manager in the
MBR", rather than a "LILO in the MBR" setup.  So, it appears, Pmagic is
actually smart enough to fix the LILO setup if it is in the partition that
is being resized/moved.

Have I got this all right?  BTW, I've sort of lost my Pmagic documentation;
though in fact, I never really read it anyway - since this is the kind of
program that really should be self-documenting - which I've always found it
to be (translation: I haven't screwed up yet).

2. Problems sending faxes on USR Sportster

3. Resize linux partition w/ Partition Magic!!

4. Pereos Tape Drive under Linux

5. Resizing Linux partition by Partition Magic - help needed!

6. Problem with Proliant 1600 and Linux

7. Can Partition Magic resize ext2 partitions?

8. mgetty + sendfax

9. Resizing partitions with Partition Magic

10. Partition Software - Partition Magic, Bootit, Boot Manager or Ranish Partition Manager

11. Has anyone used Partition magic to create a linux ext3 partition to install linux ?

12. Newbie: How big a partition should be/resize Linux partition