Kernel woes

Post by Ninewand » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Okay, I decided to bite the bullet and try building myself a kernel
customized for my machine.  Now, as you can tell from the "full headers"
view of this message, I am stuck with using Windoze (my box is dual-boot) to
get to the net because ppp doesn't seem to want to work.  The source tree
that I'm using for this monstrosity is kernel 2.2.17 and I'm building it in
an otherwise stock RedHat 6.0 environment.

The problem I'm running in to is this:

Initially, I built the kernel with ppp support compiled directly in and with
Plug 'n Pray support.  My modem, which is to be configured as /dev/ttyS2, is
a Diamond Supra Express 56i, which WAS working fine under the stock Red Hat
2.2.5 kernel.  When I booted the new kernel, ppp line discipline, etc.
registered and all was okay and no errors were reported during the boot
process.  I logged in as root and did a

# setserial /dev/ttyS2

to see if the modem was configured properly and got:

/dev/ttyS2: device or resource busy

In the process of poking around for a fix, I tried setting PnP OS to "Yes"
in my motherboard BIOS (Abit BP6, with 2 Celeron 366s) ... suddenly, it all
worked okay, but when I tried to connect to the 'net, kppp reported that
there was no ppp support in the kernel (huh?).  Also, when I booted into
Windoze, very few of my PnP devices worked ... so I set PnP OS back to "No".
Now everything works in Windoze as well as it did before, but Linux has me
stuck.

I opened up the old RedHat 6 (2.2.5) kernel configuration and copied down
the PnP and ppp values, put them into the config for the new kernel and
rebuilt ... no improvement.

By now I am almost hopelessly confused.  Mt box is significantly faster with
the strippped-down custom kernel, but I've got to get my modem and ppp
support working.  Everything else seems to work fine (scsi-ise emulation,
SMP support, the "unsupported" driver for my scsi card (a Tekram DC-315U)
but the modem is eluding my.  Please help.

Thanks and
Regards,

Ninewands

Kernel woes

Post by David ... » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Okay, I decided to bite the bullet and try building myself a kernel
> customized for my machine.  Now, as you can tell from the "full headers"
> view of this message, I am stuck with using Windoze (my box is dual-boot) to
> get to the net because ppp doesn't seem to want to work.  The source tree
> that I'm using for this monstrosity is kernel 2.2.17 and I'm building it in
> an otherwise stock RedHat 6.0 environment.

> The problem I'm running in to is this:

> Initially, I built the kernel with ppp support compiled directly in and with
> Plug 'n Pray support.  My modem, which is to be configured as /dev/ttyS2, is
> a Diamond Supra Express 56i, which WAS working fine under the stock Red Hat
> 2.2.5 kernel.  When I booted the new kernel, ppp line discipline, etc.
> registered and all was okay and no errors were reported during the boot
> process.  I logged in as root and did a

> # setserial /dev/ttyS2

> to see if the modem was configured properly and got:

> /dev/ttyS2: device or resource busy

> In the process of poking around for a fix, I tried setting PnP OS to "Yes"
> in my motherboard BIOS (Abit BP6, with 2 Celeron 366s) ... suddenly, it all
> worked okay, but when I tried to connect to the 'net, kppp reported that
> there was no ppp support in the kernel (huh?).  Also, when I booted into
> Windoze, very few of my PnP devices worked ... so I set PnP OS back to "No".
> Now everything works in Windoze as well as it did before, but Linux has me
> stuck.

> I opened up the old RedHat 6 (2.2.5) kernel configuration and copied down
> the PnP and ppp values, put them into the config for the new kernel and
> rebuilt ... no improvement.

> By now I am almost hopelessly confused.  Mt box is significantly faster with
> the strippped-down custom kernel, but I've got to get my modem and ppp
> support working.  Everything else seems to work fine (scsi-ise emulation,
> SMP support, the "unsupported" driver for my scsi card (a Tekram DC-315U)
> but the modem is eluding my.  Please help.

> Thanks and
> Regards,

> Ninewands

When you compile the kernel you shouldn't have to make any changes to
the modem or ppp configuration, but you do need to make sure you include
the ppp option in the kernel.

ID # 123538

Kernel woes

Post by Ninewand » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

in article

Quote:> Okay, I decided to bite the bullet and try building myself a kernel
> customized for my machine.  Now, as you can tell from the "full headers"
> view of this message, I am stuck with using Windoze (my box is dual-boot) to
> get to the net because ppp doesn't seem to want to work.  The source tree
> that I'm using for this monstrosity is kernel 2.2.17 and I'm building it in
> an otherwise stock RedHat 6.0 environment.

> The problem I'm running in to is this:

> Initially, I built the kernel with ppp support compiled directly in and with
> Plug 'n Pray support.  My modem, which is to be configured as /dev/ttyS2, is
> a Diamond Supra Express 56i, which WAS working fine under the stock Red Hat
> 2.2.5 kernel.  When I booted the new kernel, ppp line discipline, etc.
> registered and all was okay and no errors were reported during the boot
> process.  I logged in as root and did a

> # setserial /dev/ttyS2

> to see if the modem was configured properly and got:

> /dev/ttyS2: device or resource busy

> In the process of poking around for a fix, I tried setting PnP OS to "Yes"
> in my motherboard BIOS (Abit BP6, with 2 Celeron 366s) ... suddenly, it all
> worked okay, but when I tried to connect to the 'net, kppp reported that
> there was no ppp support in the kernel (huh?).  Also, when I booted into
> Windoze, very few of my PnP devices worked ... so I set PnP OS back to "No".
> Now everything works in Windoze as well as it did before, but Linux has me
> stuck.

> I opened up the old RedHat 6 (2.2.5) kernel configuration and copied down
> the PnP and ppp values, put them into the config for the new kernel and
> rebuilt ... no improvement.

> By now I am almost hopelessly confused.  Mt box is significantly faster with
> the strippped-down custom kernel, but I've got to get my modem and ppp
> support working.  Everything else seems to work fine (scsi-ise emulation,
> SMP support, the "unsupported" driver for my scsi card (a Tekram DC-315U)
> but the modem is eluding my.  Please help.

> Thanks and
> Regards,

> Ninewands

Further to the above, I recompiled the kernel with both PnP and ppp support
included (in the kernel, NOT as modules) and set the BIOS setting to "Yes".
I logged in as root and tried:

# setserial /dev/ttyS2

I got

/dev/ttyS2: port 0x03e8 irq 10 uart 16550A

HURRAY!

I then tried to dial up to my ISP using minicom instead of pppd (thus
bypassing any permissions issues on minicom).  Minicom politely informed me
that the modem was off-hook.  I issued a "ctl-A h" command to hang up the
modem and then tried to dial again after resetting the modem.  Same results.

It now appears that the group of suspects has been narrowed down to the PnP
initialization interaction between my kernel and ROM-BIOS.  Unfortunately,
I'm kind of stuck about where to go from here.  Can anyone give me a
sugggestion about how to cause the modem to complete it's PnP initialization
and come online in a ready state?

Regards,

Ninewands

Kernel woes

Post by Robert Jone » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> [...]

> included (in the kernel, NOT as modules) and set the BIOS setting to "Yes".
> I logged in as root and tried:

> # setserial /dev/ttyS2

> I got

> /dev/ttyS2: port 0x03e8 irq 10 uart 16550A

> HURRAY!

> I then tried to dial up to my ISP using minicom instead of pppd (thus
> bypassing any permissions issues on minicom).  Minicom politely informed me
> that the modem was off-hook.  I issued a "ctl-A h" command to hang up the
> modem and then tried to dial again after resetting the modem.  Same results.

> It now appears that the group of suspects has been narrowed down to the PnP
> initialization interaction between my kernel and ROM-BIOS.  Unfortunately,
> I'm kind of stuck about where to go from here.  Can anyone give me a
> sugggestion about how to cause the modem to complete it's PnP initialization

First thought was that in the anticipation of driving your bright, shiny custom
kernel, you might have overlooked the fact that COM ports are numbered from COM1
and ttyS* starts at ttyS0. Looks like you didn't make that mistake. (Maybe).

When I built a new kernel (2.2.16) for my RH6.0 box a couple months or so ago, I
was also greeted with the same message Kppp gives you. After posting here, I
received two pieces of helpful information -- both pointing to Kppp as the
culprit. One said simply that Kppp needed to be updated to the latest version.
The other went a bit further, stating (I'm doing this from memory, now) that my
Kppp contained a workaround for a bug in kernel 2.2.5 and once the kernel was
fixed, Kppp didn't work right. I was also sent advice to forget Kppp and follow
the instructions at http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html
This worked out real well for me. YMMV.

--
Would you *really* want to get on a non-stop flight?
                -- George Carlin

  4:12pm  up 8 days,  9:36,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.04

Kernel woes

Post by Bob Marti » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Okay, I decided to bite the bullet and try building myself a kernel
> customized for my machine.  Now, as you can tell from the "full headers"
> view of this message, I am stuck with using Windoze (my box is dual-boot) to
> get to the net because ppp doesn't seem to want to work.  The source tree
> that I'm using for this monstrosity is kernel 2.2.17 and I'm building it in
> an otherwise stock RedHat 6.0 environment.

> The problem I'm running in to is this:

> Initially, I built the kernel with ppp support compiled directly in and with
> Plug 'n Pray support.  My modem, which is to be configured as /dev/ttyS2, is
> a Diamond Supra Express 56i, which WAS working fine under the stock Red Hat
> 2.2.5 kernel.  When I booted the new kernel, ppp line discipline, etc.
> registered and all was okay and no errors were reported during the boot
> process.  I logged in as root and did a

> # setserial /dev/ttyS2

> to see if the modem was configured properly and got:

> /dev/ttyS2: device or resource busy

> In the process of poking around for a fix, I tried setting PnP OS to "Yes"
> in my motherboard BIOS (Abit BP6, with 2 Celeron 366s) ... suddenly, it all
> worked okay, but when I tried to connect to the 'net, kppp reported that
> there was no ppp support in the kernel (huh?).  Also, when I booted into
> Windoze, very few of my PnP devices worked ... so I set PnP OS back to "No".
> Now everything works in Windoze as well as it did before, but Linux has me
> stuck.

If possible I would take the modem out of plug-n-pray mode and manually
set its IRQ/IO. The problem was reported sometime ago with kppp, it was
using a hole in the kernel to determine if ppp support was compiled in.
Later kernels closed that hole, so kppp give that error message. getting
a new version of kppp should fix that.
--

Bob Martin

Kernel woes

Post by Timothy Murp » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 09:21:56

>I was also sent advice to forget Kppp and follow
>the instructions at http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

I agree completely with this.
kppp is meant to make ppp simpler,
but in fact it is far more difficult that pppd to set up.

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: 086-233 6090

1. Mouse/Kernel Woes

I wrote a message here kast week asking for elp with my busmouse setup. I am
pretty sure that the problem was that busmouse.h had to be set the the correct
IRQ for my card. So anyway, I recomplied, with the correct setting, but I don't
think that my new kernel is being used; I have done make zImage and make zdisk,
but I don' trust that it is taking effect. I did copy ziamge to /vmlinuz as
well.

I am sure that I am doing something very stupid, but I am having trouble

all possible. Thanks so much. Incedentially, I am using Slackware 2.0.

David H

--
David A. Hollman
                Cornell University College of Engineering

2. How to configure A printer server compatible with Micorsoft Networks

3. Kernel woes

4. Sending SCSI device commands ...

5. More Kernel woes...

6. Color problems in root window with Window Maker 0.50.2

7. Debian 2.2 - Alpha Kernel Woes

8. Q: telnet/network problem

9. kernel woes

10. Debian 2.2 - Alpha Kernel Woes