fix for weird login problem

Post by Michael E. Goldsb » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I encountered a weird login problem recently.  I gather from looking
at dejanews that others have had similar problems.

My system (Slackware with 2.0.34 kernel) suddenly and for no
apparent reason stopped letting me log in (as root or anyone else).
After trying a few other things, I surmised it might have something
to do with shadow passwords.  I booted using my boot and root
disks, then mounted my hard drive (mkdir tmp; mount /dev/hdb1 tmp).
Then I removed (actually, renamed) the /etc/shadow file on the hard
drive and removed the passwords from a couple of accounts in
/etc/passwd on the hard drive using sed (cp passwd passwd.orig;
sed s/root:x/root:/ passwd.orig > passwd).  Then I could log in
again (what a relief!).  I still don't really know what caused
the problem, though.

Now I can only run Xwindow as root--it gives me an error message
"xf86OpenCOnsole: Server must be suid root" otherwise--why should
an application like Xwindow know or care about shadow passwords?
Anyway, that's tomorrow's problem.

Mike Goldsby

fix for weird login problem

Post by Konrad Rosenbau » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> My system (Slackware with 2.0.34 kernel) suddenly and for no
> apparent reason stopped letting me log in (as root or anyone else).
[cut]
> Now I can only run Xwindow as root--it gives me an error message
> "xf86OpenCOnsole: Server must be suid root" otherwise--why should
> an application like Xwindow know or care about shadow passwords?
> Anyway, that's tomorrow's problem.

/usr/X11R6/bin/X (wherever this link points to) must be suid root - X
uses direct access on hardware to work, only root is allowed to do that
- only root may hop around kernel.

The whole problem sounds a little bit more critical: are you sure your
harddisk still works fine? I had a similiar problem with an old HD:
randomly changed data. After installing a new one all works fine (runs
for weeks now without reboot, before that it only ran two or three days
before crashing).

My personal experience with Linux is that hardware tends to be more
unstable than the OS.

        Konrad

1. Very weird login problem

Hello!
I am ruinning a redhat linux server with 2.2.14 kernel and ip_masq.
I had it running for 5 months now, without a hitch.. Until now..
When i try to log in at the console or via telnet, it says login incorect.
So i thought passwords were messed up..
But when in log into linuxconf or FTP, the passwords work ok.
So what is going on? It is realy anoying me, cause I CAN'T LOG IN TO MY OWN
BOX!

Plz help? What am i looking for? suggestions?

I'd hate to have to reinstall it.. grr
Thanks..
Niels

2. Pointers on setting up web server

3. Weird Login Problem

4. DosEMU and Video

5. Weird Login problem

6. man.conf file needed

7. weird login problem

8. remote printers/lpstat

9. WEIRD can't login problem

10. weird login problem

11. REDHAT 5.0+Triteal CDE--->>weird login problem

12. Weird login problem

13. WEIRD login problem