SuSE Linux 6.0 to 6.3 Upgrade

Post by Jonathan Walli » Tue, 07 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

 I have tried to upgrade my SuSE Linux 6.0 to the new 6.3 version, but
this has left my Linux System unreachable - when I try to boot from Lilo
or use Loadlin the computer freezes..

 One obvious way to solve this problem is start from scratch (without
using the upgrade option). This however causes a major problem due to
the fact that 6.3 must be installed within adjacent partitions (unlike
6.0) and Windows is already installed between the two Linux partitions.

 Does anybody know how to rescue this situation, without starting from
scratch??

 Jon Wallis
--
Jonathan Wallis

SuSE Linux 6.0 to 6.3 Upgrade

Post by Charles Blackbu » Tue, 07 Dec 1999 04:00:00

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999 12:51:00 +0000, Jonathan Wallis blurted:
Quote:>Hello,

> I have tried to upgrade my SuSE Linux 6.0 to the new 6.3 version, but
>this has left my Linux System unreachable - when I try to boot from Lilo
>or use Loadlin the computer freezes..

I don't think you can upgrade from 6.0 to 6.3 I know you should be able to
u/g from 6.1, but 6.0 I am not sure.

--
Charles Blackburn
Summerfield Technology Limited - Official SuSE Reseller

WWW: http://www.summerfieldtechnology.co.uk

SuSE Linux 6.0 to 6.3 Upgrade

Post by Spik » Thu, 09 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello,
>  I have tried to upgrade my SuSE Linux 6.0 to the new 6.3 version, but
> this has left my Linux System unreachable - when I try to boot from Lilo
> or use Loadlin the computer freezes..
>  One obvious way to solve this problem is start from scratch (without
> using the upgrade option). This however causes a major problem due to
> the fact that 6.3 must be installed within adjacent partitions (unlike
> 6.0) and Windows is already installed between the two Linux partitions.

Are you using YaST? Ignore YaST2. From what I hear, it's for first
installations and newbies. (I hear CD2 contains YaST and is also bootable.

The problem with the upgrade is pretty obvious.
Upgrading from an old release to one 3 points later is probably a very bad
idea. If you'd gone 6.0 -> 6.1 -> 6.2 ->6.3, it would probably have upgraded
flawlessly. It probably would have worked skipping one release.

3 is a little too much, I think.

|    Andrew Halliwell BSc   |     I can SMELL!!!  KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel    |
|             in            |     and get out the puncture repair kit!"      |
|      Computer Science     |        Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf          |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e++ h/h+ !r!|  Space for hire  |

SuSE Linux 6.0 to 6.3 Upgrade

Post by Bart Schout » Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>On Mon, 6 Dec 1999 12:51:00 +0000, Jonathan Wallis blurted:
>>Hello,

>> I have tried to upgrade my SuSE Linux 6.0 to the new 6.3 version, but
>>this has left my Linux System unreachable - when I try to boot from Lilo
>>or use Loadlin the computer freezes..
>I don't think you can upgrade from 6.0 to 6.3 I know you should be able to
>u/g from 6.1, but 6.0 I am not sure.

I'm currently upgrading. I don't know if everything will work, because
I don't have *anything* configured, but I can boot etc.>

>--
>Charles Blackburn
>Summerfield Technology Limited - Official SuSE Reseller
>Sponser Of the Birmingham (UK) Linux User Group

>WWW: http://www.summerfieldtechnology.co.uk

-------------
Bart Schouten
-------------
StarCraft, Delphi & Java.

1. SuSE Linux Upgrade Question 6.3 -> 6.4

I am currently running SuSE 6.3 on my server/router system at
home.  I would like to upgrade it to SuSE 6.4 to take advantage
of the new features.  Has anyone done this, and is there a
simple method for doing so?

If necessary, I'm willing to wipe my existing installation and
start from scratch. I know that sounds drastic, but I really
haven't had to do much since the original installation to get it
to the point where it is now.

Michael Schafer

2. List of FreeBSD User Groups?

3. Suse 6.3 ftp upgrade

4. sharing fat32 partition between linux (/home directory) and win2k

5. setpgrp - problem after upgrading SuSE 5.3 to SuSE 6.0

6. Q: Mitshuma CD-ROM and InfoMagic Cd-ROM

7. Boot problem witch suse linux 6.3

8. Re : [CHECKER] 28 potential interrupt errors

9. Help for Minolta Page Pro 6 L Driver for Linux SUSE 6.3

10. Suse Linux 6.3?

11. HP Colorado 5GB Tape Drive under Suse Linux 6.3

12. SuSE Linux 6.3 Installation Problems

13. Suse Linux 6.3 Announcement