BRU - Multiple Directory Backup In 1 Archive

BRU - Multiple Directory Backup In 1 Archive

Post by Paul Reed » Sun, 12 May 2002 21:18:43

I have run out of space on my 4mm tape drive and need to split the
full backup into 2 backups.  I have successfully created scripts to
complete a full backup of the /home dir. and have cron run it
automatically.

What I need help with is how do I create a full backup of all remaining
dir. in one archive?

Thank you.

BRU - Multiple Directory Backup In 1 Archive

Post by Sinister Midge » Mon, 13 May 2002 02:27:28

On Sat, 11 May 2002 07:18:43 -0500, Paul Reeder claimed:

Quote:> I have run out of space on my 4mm tape drive and need to split the full
> backup into 2 backups.  I have successfully created scripts to complete
> a full backup of the /home dir. and have cron run it automatically.

> What I need help with is how do I create a full backup of all remaining
> dir. in one archive?

> Thank you.

I'm not clear what you want. Do you mean you don't have any more tapes at
all? Or, you want to split the backup across multiple tapes? You want
everything except home on one tape and home in a backup all by itself,
not on tape?

Use the filters to get everything except /home:

Options -> Backup -> File Selection Options -> Edit

Add a pattern such as:
Shell-style pattern: /home/*
Exclude Pattern

Be sure to save it or it will be forgotten.

Then run the backup. If you can come up with another tape it can be
spread across more than a single tape.

If that isn't what you mean, please be more specific.

--
There are 3 kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and Microsoft's Knowledgebase.

Post by Paul Reed » Thu, 16 May 2002 09:20:14

> On Sat, 11 May 2002 07:18:43 -0500, Paul Reeder claimed:

> > I have run out of space on my 4mm tape drive and need to split the full
> > backup into 2 backups.  I have successfully created scripts to complete
> > a full backup of the /home dir. and have cron run it automatically.

> > What I need help with is how do I create a full backup of all remaining
> > dir. in one archive?

> > Thank you.

> I'm not clear what you want. Do you mean you don't have any more tapes at
> all? Or, you want to split the backup across multiple tapes? You want
> everything except home on one tape and home in a backup all by itself,
> not on tape?

> Use the filters to get everything except /home:

> Options -> Backup -> File Selection Options -> Edit

> Add a pattern such as:
> Shell-style pattern: /home/*
> Exclude Pattern

> Be sure to save it or it will be forgotten.

> Then run the backup. If you can come up with another tape it can be
> spread across more than a single tape.

> If that isn't what you mean, please be more specific.

Regarding your reply to my question:

We have more tapes, however there is only one tape drive in the computer.
I have created everything needed to do a complete backup (not incremental)
of the /home directory.  The backups run at night unattended and I can
not change tapes.  With the /home backup out of the way, now I need to
create another complete backup that would run at another time, after
changing the tape, for all other files on the computer.

Also, we are running RH 7.2 in text mode.

Thanks for your assistance.

1. BRU - Multiple Specific Directories Backup In 1 Archive

I am running bru in on a Linux 7.2 machine and I have run out of space
on my 4mm tape drive and need to split the full backup into 2 backups.
 This computer is a file server running in text mode only.

I have successfully created scripts to complete a full backup of the
/home dir. and have cron run it automatically.

What I need help with is how do I create another complete
(non-incremental)backup of all remaining dir. in one archive that
would run at a different time or day?  This backup would fit on one
tape.  All backups run unattended at night and there is only one tape
drive in the machine.

Thank you.

2. Linux and the Internet

3. Multiple backup archives on one tape

4. STREAMS drivers

5. Solstice Backup 4.2.6: Archiving vs. backup.

6. software raid

7. DDS tape backup multiple directories problem

8. Q: limits on size of a group definition?

9. BRU - backup and restore utility

10. RedHat 5 and BRU backup facility

11. Backup with BRU

12. Adaptec 2930CU, RH6.2 and BRU backup questions

13. StorageTek tape carousel (aka Imation itl2225) and BRU 2000 backup?