Wolfpack for Linux (High Availability Clusters)

Wolfpack for Linux (High Availability Clusters)

Post by Colin Smi » Sat, 05 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Is anyone doing any work on adding high availability clustering to Linux.
I know there are high performance clusters out there, but they don't address
any availability issues.

--
Archeus Free FRPG - http://www.geocities.com/Area51/3002/

My opinions are completely my own, bought and paid for.

Post by Jarek Lubere » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Is anyone doing any work on adding high availability clustering to Linux.
> I know there are high performance clusters out there, but they don't address
> any availability issues.

Microsoft is really amazing. They build a poor, unstable OS, Cluster
it into N-cluster and charge N++ for the bundle to get the stability
of any other Unix on the market.

Well, to the point. Does Linux really need to address this issue.
I doubt that any bank would put their trust into a free Unix (their
problem not mine) no matter how stable i turns out to be.  I'd be
happy though if it turned out to be otherwise. I'd say that until
linux runs enough software we should put our efforts into that.
Otherwise, we'll end up with some fantastic OS that's always one
step behind because it's killer applications is DOS emulation
(or NT emulations if it's at all possible)

/jarek

-----
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
                -- Oscar Wilde

Post by Frithjof Ander » Wed, 09 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Is anyone doing any work on adding high availability clustering to Linux.
> I know there are high performance clusters out there, but they don't address
> any availability issues.

The reason why NOBODY addresses that issue is sinply, because it was
and  still is
part of the UNIX operation system philosophy. People coming from the OS
stone age
of DOS Mircosoft has put them into have a change for an enlightening
experience
by using a free U*ix OS like LINUX that clustering question has been
solved  long time
ago before third party software companys try to fix the imaturity of the
Mircosoft products.

All what you need on drivers is part of the LINUX (or other Unix)
kernel.
Install your favourite LINUX distribution on your PC boxes and read the
instruction how to use NFS mounts, NIS (network information system)
and an automounter like amd (Redhat for example comes with a ready to
run amd
automounter)

You will learn after some time, that LINUX is THE operation system, you
have
dreamed about and Microsoft denied us to give.

Good luck
Frithjof

Wolfpack for Linux (High Availability Clusters)

Post by Jochen Friedri » Thu, 10 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>All what you need on drivers is part of the LINUX (or other Unix)
>kernel.
>Install your favourite LINUX distribution on your PC boxes and read the
>instruction how to use NFS mounts, NIS (network information system)
>and an automounter like amd (Redhat for example comes with a ready to
>run amd automounter)

Unfortunately, amd is not what i would call a high availability program. Often,
problems start when using amd with "host" maps:

Supposed a host has / and /disc1. amd mounts them
to /nfs/host/ and /nfs/host/disc1. Now, if host goes down,
this link can't be unmounted anymore. You can't unmount
/nfs/host/ because the mount is on use (by the second mount)
and you can't unmount /nfs/host/disc1/ because /nfs/host/ is
a stale handle...

Maybe the new kernel automounter code of 2.1.31 will fix this...

Jochen

Wolfpack for Linux (High Availability Clusters)

Post by Edmund Humenberge » Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Well, to the point. Does Linux really need to address this issue.
> I doubt that any bank would put their trust into a free Unix (their
> problem not mine) no matter how stable i turns out to be.

We currently have 3 major banks in towm with linux machines.

ed

Post by Rogan Daw » Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>> Well, to the point. Does Linux really need to address this issue.
>> I doubt that any bank would put their trust into a free Unix (their
>> problem not mine) no matter how stable i turns out to be.

>We currently have 3 major banks in towm with linux machines.

>ed

Is there any chance of getting a statement from them regarding their
use of Linux, and how they feel about using free software?

That could be very beneficial to the cause.  There is a page set up,
although I can't think of the URL now, that is collecting reports from
businesses using Linux.  This would surely be a welcome addition.

Rogan
--

- The software said it requires Windows 3.1 or better, so I installed Linux -

Post by Jeffrey J. Radi » Wed, 23 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>>> Well, to the point. Does Linux really need to address this issue.
>>> I doubt that any bank would put their trust into a free Unix (their
>>> problem not mine) no matter how stable i turns out to be.

>>We currently have 3 major banks in towm with linux machines.

>>ed
>Is there any chance of getting a statement from them regarding their
>use of Linux, and how they feel about using free software?

>That could be very beneficial to the cause.  There is a page set up,
>although I can't think of the URL now, that is collecting reports from
>businesses using Linux.  This would surely be a welcome addition.

http://www.m-tech.ab.ca/linux-biz/

-jjr