lilo and win98

Post by Ron Nicholl » Sun, 17 Dec 2000 15:35:39

I have installed win98 on the first 2gig partition, which runs fine alone,
os2 on the second 2gig and linux
on the next 2 gig ; it's a 20 gig drive with other partitons for apps
Using lilo to boot each OS , linux and os2 boot successfully, but win 98
prompts me with
a line
=======
Type name of Command Interpreter eg. C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM

=======
It would be nice to have them all on the same drive.
Lilo is installed in the MBR , is this a problem with win.
Is there a HOWTO for win98
The distribution is RedHat 7.0

Regards RonN

lilo and win98

Post by Stefano Ghirland » Mon, 18 Dec 2000 03:59:32

> Lilo is installed in the MBR , is this a problem with win.  Is there
> a HOWTO for win98 The distribution is RedHat 7.0

I'm sorry if you already have this setup, but anyway:

# in lilo.conf

# YOUR Win partition here:
other = /dev/hdaXX
  label = dos
  table = /dev/hda

see man 5 lilo.conf for details.

--
Stefano - Hodie decimo septimo Kalendas Ianuarias MMI est

lilo and win98

Post by Leonard Even » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 00:29:08

> I have installed win98 on the first 2gig partition, which runs fine alone,
> os2 on the second 2gig and linux
> on the next 2 gig ; it's a 20 gig drive with other partitons for apps
> Using lilo to boot each OS , linux and os2 boot successfully, but win 98
> prompts me with
> a line
> =======
> Type name of Command Interpreter eg. C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
> A>
> =======
> It would be nice to have them all on the same drive.
> Lilo is installed in the MBR , is this a problem with win.
> Is there a HOWTO for win98
> The distribution is RedHat 7.0

> Regards RonN

This is almost certainly a problem with Win 98.  I can't think of
any way lilo would give you such a message.  There is something wrong
with the boot sequence for Windows which occurs after it gets started.

You can try looking at files like autoexec.bat and config.sys,
although I thought those were not necessarily used during the W98
boot process.  Also see if you can find the command processor.

In the end, you may have to reinstall W98.

If you can boot LInux, you should be able to mount the W98
partition and look at it.

What happens by the way if you enter
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND>COM
at the prompt?

lilo and win98

Post by tyl.. » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 18:25:44

Well, I can tell you what the cause of your problem is, for what
it's worth.  The DOS system is successfully loading into memory, but
when it comes time to start the command interpreter (ie shell), it
can't find it and can't continue.  The reason it can't find it...
well, I don't know.  I've never caused this problem by modifying
a *different* partition before.  I remember that error message back
from my DOS hacking days, though.  I got that when I accidentally
deleted the command.com file (usually should reside in your root
directory, by the way, often times a copy is kept in \windows\ or
\windows\command\

You can easily reproduce this error by doing the following with a
floppy disk.  (It works with hard disks too, but you don't want to
do that on purpose)
-  Insert a blank floppy.
-   sys a:
-   del a:*.*
-  Boot from the floppy.

Basically it makes the disk bootable, copies the 'kernel image' and
such to the floppy.  Then you delete everthing except for the hidden
files (msdos.sys, io.sys, etc) and are left with a system that boots
then chokes because it's missing the user interface.  Perhaps this
little activity can give you some ideas as to what caused you're own
problem.

If you're looking to "fight the illness by fighting the symptoms,"
well then you need to put a copy of a command interpreter where the
DOS kernel can find it.  Preferably in C:\

Just boot from a floppy and 'copy a:\command.com c:\', assuming
that the boot floppy is running the exact same windows version
as the system.  Otherwise you'll*things up by doing that.
So make sure.

Another point to muse about is why the system is looking for
command.com in the first place.  Command.com is the command line
interpreter.  You're likely looking for the graphical environment.
I think (maybe someone else can confirm this) that the file you're
really looking for is c:\windows\win.com, not command.com.
Try either or both of the following:

- Hit F8 immediatly after telling lilo to load windows.  From the
menu that pops up choose step-by-step confirmation and see where
the system poops out.  As always, look for anything peculiar.  Try
different possible avenues to the startup procedure (when it asks
you "Do you want to ___") and see if you can figure out what's
causing your dilemma.

- Boot from a floppy (or just mount the drive into linux) and check
to see if c:\windows\win.com is there.  You can also check for
command.com for the hell of it.  Maybe you're discover something
interesting.

I honestly can't figure out what installing Linux could have done
to create this problem, so it's tough to suggest a solution.  The
damage was most likely done from windows by somehow deleting the
wrong file. Bad media is also a likely suspect.  I once installed
window 3 times (all the same day) on a machine before figuring out
that my disk had a bad block and was messing up my files.  Scandisk
can fix that.

Finding the missing file and copying it from another source could
very well solve your problem.  OTOH, it's been my sad experience
with Microsoft that a reformat-reinstall is the only way to fix some
problems.

Good luck and come back if you find something new.