Q: Nakamichi MBR7 CD-changer

Post by Joern Carste » Mon, 04 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Hi * !

Does anybody use the mentioned CD changer under Linux or
has any experiences concerning CD changer in general ?

Thanks in advance

Q: Nakamichi MBR7 CD-changer

Post by Koen J. Mulde » Tue, 05 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>Hi * !
>Does anybody use the mentioned CD changer under Linux or
>has any experiences concerning CD changer in general ?
>Thanks in advance

Someone on the Big-Linux mailing list has a CD-changer working, sorry
forgot his name...

--
Koen Mulders

Q: Nakamichi MBR7 CD-changer

Post by Mark M » Tue, 05 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: Does anybody use the mentioned CD changer under Linux or
: has any experiences concerning CD changer in general ?

I'm running a MBR7 here from a Future Domain controller.  All I had to do
was recompiler the kernel to support multiple LUNS (I'd turned that off
previously) and create the appropriate entries in the /dev dir (created cdr1
thru cdr6 using the existing cdr0 to get the device number, minor# goes
sequentially).

A little slow to mount the CD's though, Linux wants to read each one when it
mounts, so the changer has to swap them all.

Q: Nakamichi MBR7 CD-changer

Post by Ed Marti » Tue, 05 Sep 1995 04:00:00

In addition to being slow, you'll find that if two disks are accessed at
the same time bad things will happen.  I wrote a script that we call with
sudo that mounts one disk and locks the device so that only one user at
a time can select which disk is mounted.

The firmware in this drive was written with winbloze3 in mind, and allows
a multi-tasking system to shoot itself in the foot.

Ed