Lucent Winmodem Compile: config file missing

Lucent Winmodem Compile: config file missing

Post by RWW » Sun, 07 Jul 2002 16:11:12

I've been trying to compile[1] some kernel-headers for my Lucent Winmodem by
following the directions at
http://linmodems.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?1:mss:3785:200105:pdfckkcmemho...
k and
http://chlug.dpagin.net/8100/ltmodem/Lucent%20Winmodem%20quick%20inst...
n%20guide.htm

However, I am apparently missing or can't find some "config file" that is
required for a proper compile. The two pages (links above) say that the
kernel setup file/config file is located at either of the following two
locations but I don't find any directories or files that resemble them:

/boot/config-version
/usr/src/linux/configs

Does anyone have ideas on what I could do to correct this problem? I
initially tried to install the Red Hat RPMs from http://www.heby.de/ltmodem
but none of them matches Red Hat 7.1 AND kernel 2.4.2, so now I think I'm
left with the option of compiling my own drivers.

Thanks in advance.

[1] I'm running Red Hat 7.1 with kernel 2.4.2-2 (i686),
19.5MB 2.4.2 kernel-header sources downloaded from
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.2.tar.bz2 ,
Lucent Winmodem.

Post by RWW » Sun, 07 Jul 2002 16:43:58

> However, I am apparently missing or can't find some "config file" that is
> required for a proper compile.

Does anyone know the format of the config file's filename?  I don't have
much of an idea what its supposed to be.

Post by Jimchi » Sun, 07 Jul 2002 23:32:23

> I've been trying to compile[1] some kernel-headers for my Lucent Winmodem by
> following the directions at
> http://linmodems.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?1:mss:3785:200105:pdfckkcmemho...
> k and
> http://chlug.dpagin.net/8100/ltmodem/Lucent%20Winmodem%20quick%20inst...
> n%20guide.htm

It's not bad to compile your own but I don't think you have to. Have
you tried one of the rpms referenced in http://www.heby.de/ltmodem ?
http://www.physcip.uni-stuttgart.de/heby/ltmodem/dists/redhat/

Quote:

> However, I am apparently missing or can't find some "config file" that is
> required for a proper compile. The two pages (links above) say that the
> kernel setup file/config file is located at either of the following two
> locations but I don't find any directories or files that resemble them:

> /boot/config-version

Use a 'ls /boot' and you will see if you have config-2.4.x and
kernel.h-2.4.x

Quote:> /usr/src/linux/configs

> Does anyone have ideas on what I could do to correct this problem? I
> initially tried to install the Red Hat RPMs from http://www.heby.de/ltmodem
> but none of them matches Red Hat 7.1 AND kernel 2.4.2, so now I think I'm
> left with the option of compiling my own drivers.

The RPM won't have to match 7.1 AND 2.4.2. I could be wrong (as I use
MDK) but I think you just have to match the kernel of the standard
distro. Any later distro version (7.x) will be OK take care of any
special directory structures unique to a distribution.

Quote:

--
Jim   jimchip 'at' spamcop.net
"If it were easy to understand

Lucent Winmodem Compile: config file missing

Post by RWW » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 17:10:37

Quote:> It's not bad to compile your own but I don't think you have to. Have
> you tried one of the rpms referenced in http://www.heby.de/ltmodem ?
> http://www.physcip.uni-stuttgart.de/heby/ltmodem/dists/redhat/

Actually, I've spent quite a bit of time there but after looking another
time, I found the RPM for my system!  But it doesn't seem to be working.
The file it instructs me to run after I execute ltinst is nonexistent.  I'll
post more details when I can.

Quote:> > However, I am apparently missing or can't find some "config file" that
is
> > required for a proper compile. The two pages (links above) say that the
> > kernel setup file/config file is located at either of the following two
> > locations but I don't find any directories or files that resemble them:

> > /boot/config-version

> Use a 'ls /boot' and you will see if you have config-2.4.x and
> kernel.h-2.4.x

I have kernel.h-2.4.2 but nothing resembling config-2.4.2 (or config for
that matter).

Post by Jimchi » Tue, 09 Jul 2002 02:57:34

>> It's not bad to compile your own but I don't think you have to. Have
>> you tried one of the rpms referenced in http://www.heby.de/ltmodem ?
>> http://www.physcip.uni-stuttgart.de/heby/ltmodem/dists/redhat/

> Actually, I've spent quite a bit of time there but after looking another
> time, I found the RPM for my system!  But it doesn't seem to be working.
> The file it instructs me to run after I execute ltinst is nonexistent.  I'll
> post more details when I can.

>> > However, I am apparently missing or can't find some "config file" that
> is
>> > required for a proper compile. The two pages (links above) say that the
>> > kernel setup file/config file is located at either of the following two
>> > locations but I don't find any directories or files that resemble them:

>> > /boot/config-version

>> Use a 'ls /boot' and you will see if you have config-2.4.x and
>> kernel.h-2.4.x

> I have kernel.h-2.4.2 but nothing resembling config-2.4.2 (or config for
> that matter).

The config is the kernel config file for kernel compilation. While one
doesn't necessarily have to install the full kernel source one should
have the config and the headers if one is going to compile any
programs. Some programs require the full kernel source in order to
compile so unless disk space is at a premium I always install it all.