slow file transfer rates, please help

Post by Etha » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 19:44:18

hello everyone,

i recently (bout 2001) purchased a p4 1.4Ghz processor on an Intel
D850GB desktop m/board. In windows, the file transfers are superb, but
in linux, its a crawl. Some times i copy files at a mere 900 KB/s or
even less ! how could this be?

I noticed that as i boot into linux, i saw a  line of text scroll by
fast that says:

...assuming .. PIO ... 33Mhz ....

If i am not mistaken that refers to the hard disk transfer rate right?
but that shouldnt be. my hardisk is either a ATA100/ATA66 ... i think
its a ATA100 anyway it is running on a 400mhz system bus . Can anyone
please help teach me how to set the defaults back? thanks

slow file transfer rates, please help

Post by Kevin Easto » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 19:59:08

Quote:> hello everyone,

> i recently (bout 2001) purchased a p4 1.4Ghz processor on an Intel
> D850GB desktop m/board. In windows, the file transfers are superb, but
> in linux, its a crawl. Some times i copy files at a mere 900 KB/s or
> even less ! how could this be?

> I noticed that as i boot into linux, i saw a  line of text scroll by
> fast that says:

> ...assuming .. PIO ... 33Mhz ....

> If i am not mistaken that refers to the hard disk transfer rate right?
> but that shouldnt be. my hardisk is either a ATA100/ATA66 ... i think
> its a ATA100 anyway it is running on a 400mhz system bus . Can anyone
> please help teach me how to set the defaults back? thanks

No, that's assuming that your PCI bus base clock is 33Mhz, which is
almost certainly correct.  By the way, if you want to review the boot
messages, run "dmesg" just after booting up.

It's probably that the kernel is disabling DMA transfers, because they
often don't work right on many IDE controllers.  You can try reenabling
it by installing "hdparm" and running "hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda".  If you
want to test the speeds that you're getting, run "hdparm -T -t /dev/hda"
before and after the change.

To make it permanent you'll have to put the hdparm command in your
startup scripts.

(Incidentally, are you running kernel 2.2?  kernel 2.4 has an "enable
DMA by default" option that is a bit less conservative).

        - Kevin.

Post by NN » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 20:13:11

> hello everyone,

> i recently (bout 2001) purchased a p4 1.4Ghz processor on an Intel
> D850GB desktop m/board. In windows, the file transfers are superb, but
> in linux, its a crawl. Some times i copy files at a mere 900 KB/s or
> even less ! how could this be?

> I noticed that as i boot into linux, i saw a  line of text scroll by
> fast that says:

> ...assuming .. PIO ... 33Mhz ....

> If i am not mistaken that refers to the hard disk transfer rate right?
> but that shouldnt be. my hardisk is either a ATA100/ATA66 ... i think
> its a ATA100 anyway it is running on a 400mhz system bus . Can anyone
> please help teach me how to set the defaults back? thanks

Linux defaults to SAFE but SLOW settings for harddrives (no dma, ata33 etc).
Use hdparm to change these settings

Be careful as wrong settings can damage your data. Don't assume your windows
partition will be safe if it's on the same drive.

read "man hdparm"

This might help too
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Ultra-DMA-8.html#ss8.2

Check the disk producers homepage to get the specs of your drive

If you are careful it should be safe, but don't bleme me if the disk dies

Post by Paul Lutu » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 23:49:07

> hello everyone,

> i recently (bout 2001) purchased a p4 1.4Ghz processor on an Intel
> D850GB desktop m/board. In windows, the file transfers are superb, but
> in linux, its a crawl. Some times i copy files at a mere 900 KB/s or
> even less ! how could this be?

Fill in the blanks:

I am transferring data between _____________ and _______________

Quote:

> I noticed that as i boot into linux, i saw a  line of text scroll by
> fast that says:

> ...assuming .. PIO ... 33Mhz ....

> If i am not mistaken that refers to the hard disk transfer rate right?

No, it refers to a conservative assumption about a bus transfer rate, and it
doesn't stay in effect very long.

Quote:> but that shouldnt be. my hardisk is either a ATA100/ATA66 ... i think
> its a ATA100 anyway it is running on a 400mhz system bus.

Really? A 400 MHz data bus clock rate?

Quote:> Can anyone
> please help teach me how to set the defaults back?

Whta default is that? Back to what?

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

slow file transfer rates, please help

Post by mjt » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 04:16:24

btw - dont crosspost to so many groups

Quote:> I noticed that as i boot into linux, i saw a  line of text scroll by
> fast that says:
> ...assuming .. PIO ... 33Mhz ....

execute 'dmesg' to read those messages after boot up.

Quote:> If i am not mistaken that refers to the hard disk transfer rate right?

no ... that's for the bus xfer rate

Quote:> but that shouldnt be. my hardisk is either a ATA100/ATA66 ... i think
> its a ATA100 anyway it is running on a 400mhz system bus . Can anyone
> please help teach me how to set the defaults back? thanks

... "what" defaults????  btw, you didnt mention your h/w configuration,
such as network card, dialup/dsl/cable modem setup, and the rest
of your machine's config; plus the distro/version you are using

1. (newbie question) Slow file transfer rate on FreeBSD

Hi Gurus

I have recently set up a FreeBSD P4 Box with 10 bast T network card. I
also installed OpenSSH 3.01p1 on it. But the ssh server seems to have a
40KB/s upload/download limit, for connection from outside my OpenBSD
gateway as well as from within my 192.168. network. Before I was using
Linux and it seemed to be able to go up to 100+ KB/sec. Is it that by
default freebsd limit the connection speed to ensure the availability of
the server? If it is possible to increase the speed, how can I do it?

Thanks
-----
Ran Pang
SE 99

http://www.cas.mcmaster.ca/~pangr
tel: (905)529-5619

2. Dialing into ISP w/PPP

3. newbie needs help on slow NT<->Linux transfer rate.

4. CD-ROM mount failure: invalid argument

5. slow transfer rate in Netscape

6. inetd & telnet

7. slow transfer rates on SINIX

8. 2.5.7-pre2 -- Error seeking in /dev/kmem

9. Raw socket transfer, fixing slow TX rate (C program, linux)

10. 100mbps switched network, slow transfer rates.

11. Really Slow Linux <-> Win95/98 Transfer Rates

12. FTP/HTTP transfer rate slows down w/ time through LINUX BOX & IP Masquerading...

13. Terribly slow HDD transfer rate