please help with setting su password

Post by richard noel fel » Tue, 27 Feb 2001 05:49:24

For reasons unbeknownst to me, my system, redhat 7.0, will no longer
accept the password for su. This prevents many things, such as being
able to print, etc. How can I reset the password if I can not log on as
su? I can't imagine that I have to reinstall the software.  My purchase
of 7.0 comes with a boot diskette. Will this be of any help?
Thanks to all in advance,
* Fell

--
Please note new email address:

Richard Fell
13 Davida Road
Burlington, Ma 01803
(781)273-2126

Post by Michael Heimin » Tue, 27 Feb 2001 04:48:27

> For reasons unbeknownst to me, my system, redhat 7.0, will no longer
> accept the password for su. This prevents many things, such as being
> able to print, etc. How can I reset the password if I can not log on
> as su? I can't imagine that I have to reinstall the software.  My
> purchase of 7.0 comes with a boot diskette. Will this be of any help?
> Thanks to all in advance,
>* Fell

Boot from your boot diskette, mount your / device to /mnt

vi /mnt/etc/shadow

root:deleted_your_crypted_passwd:

umount /mnt

Reboot and you should be done, set a new root pwd, as you shouldn't have
one anymore!

Good luck

Michael Heiming

please help with setting su password

Post by richard noel fel » Tue, 27 Feb 2001 06:36:46

Thank  you, Michael, for your reply. I booted from the boot diskette,
entering linux rescue, as instructed. However, all that happened was the
beginning of the installation procedure. I did the same from the cd - linux
rescue at the prompt and again, the installation procedure started.
Perhaps, one cannot enter rescue mode from either the boot diskette or the
cd? Is this trur?
* Fell

--
Please note new email address:

Richard Fell
13 Davida Road
Burlington, Ma 01803
(781)273-2126

please help with setting su password

Post by Jochen Reitzi » Tue, 27 Feb 2001 07:30:32

If you want to I can send you an image from the SUse start Disk which you
can dd on a floppy. This defenitly works for getting a prompt and mounting
the device.
You should also be able to get at:

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/7.0/disks

You need bootdisk and rescue.

Good bye, Jochen

--
Jochen Reitzig             99 Woodbridge Ave

Post by Michael Heimin » Tue, 27 Feb 2001 08:24:42

> Thank  you, Michael, for your reply. I booted from the boot diskette,
> entering linux rescue, as instructed. However, all that happened was
> the beginning of the installation procedure. I did the same from the
> cd - linux rescue at the prompt and again, the installation procedure
> started. Perhaps, one cannot enter rescue mode from either the boot
> diskette or the cd? Is this trur

I don't know about RH, with SuSE you boot from the first CD and type
manual at the lilo prompt, yast1 is started this way,
you can instruct it to load modules neccesary (ie. your / is on SCSI)
automagically and boot a rescue system then.

You should consult the manual of your RH distro, I can't imagine, RH
hasn't something easy like this built in, but from
what I've read in the last time, RH seems to have mucked up many thing,
I've been told you can't even compile a fresh
kernel with it out of the box?

Michael Heiming