Direct access to video memory under X

Post by Gerhard W. Grube » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 01:48:40

Is it possible to get direct hardware access to the VGA card? Probably I don't
need direct hardware access but rather I need to read and write directly into
the gfx memory. Any ideas how I could achieve this when X is running? I don't
mind when windows are overwritten in the course because they could be
refreshed and I would want to save the content anyway.

--
Gerhard Gruber

Fr jedes menschliche Problem gibt es immer eine einfache L?sung:
Klar, einleuchtend und falsch. (Henry Louis Mencken)

1. Direct access to video memory

Is it possible to get direct hardware access to the VGA card? Probably I don't
need direct hardware access but rather I need to read and write directly into
the gfx memory. Any ideas how I could achieve this when X is running? I don't
mind when windows are overwritten in the course because they could be
refreshed and I would want to save the content anyway.

I was looking into the console code from the kernel. From that I noticed a
function take_over_console. Is this how X does take over the console and how
it is handled?

--
Gerhard Gruber

Fr jedes menschliche Problem gibt es immer eine einfache L?sung:
Klar, einleuchtend und falsch. (Henry Louis Mencken)

2. Nortel 2600 VPN Switch and IPSEC

3. Direct video memory access under X

4. popclient loses mail

5. Text mode character output through direct accessing Video RAM?

6. user@host addressing over uucp, HELP!

7. Direct VGA video adapter access ?

8. HELP! My modem doesn′t dial!

9. HELP: Direct Video Mem Access under X11R5 ???

10. Direct video memory acces under X - is it possible?

11. Direct access to the video card

12. Need help!!! direct memory access

13. direct memory access, gettimeofday: any GURUS out there?