Install Problem

Post by John Ledes » Tue, 11 Nov 1997 04:00:00

We installed Redhat 4.2 from CD successfully. We had to remove it due
to our own mistreatment of the system. Upon subsequent re-installs
the first directory is tmp. The root is a subdirectory of tmp. At the
fdisk prompt we get the normal message that it is running on
/dev/hdb. However, when I do P I get: Disk /tmp/hdb: etc and
that is the way that n adds new directorys, as sub of /tmp. An
interval install of a Debian version installed OK and the Redhat
install after that Installed OK. But we removed Redhat again and
are back to the tmp/root/etc problem. I would use the
Debian CD again except that its gone with the magazine it came in.
Any suggestions on how to delete tmp from the install? We
have used Partition Magic and OS/2's fdisk to remove all
partitions so I'm sure the drive itself has nothing on it.

Install Problem

Post by Jeremy P » Sun, 16 Nov 1997 04:00:00

This is not a problem at all.  The Redhat installation disk uses /tmp for
its own use when it installs things.  "/tmp/hdb" is really the same as
/dev/hdb.  Go ahead with the install, and everythign should work when
you're done.

--Jeremy

> Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 10:18:55 GMT

> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
> Subject: Install Problem

> We installed Redhat 4.2 from CD successfully. We had to remove it due
> to our own mistreatment of the system. Upon subsequent re-installs
> the first directory is tmp. The root is a subdirectory of tmp. At the
> fdisk prompt we get the normal message that it is running on
> /dev/hdb. However, when I do P I get: Disk /tmp/hdb: etc and
> that is the way that n adds new directorys, as sub of /tmp. An
> interval install of a Debian version installed OK and the Redhat
> install after that Installed OK. But we removed Redhat again and
> are back to the tmp/root/etc problem. I would use the
> Debian CD again except that its gone with the magazine it came in.
> Any suggestions on how to delete tmp from the install? We
> have used Partition Magic and OS/2's fdisk to remove all
> partitions so I'm sure the drive itself has nothing on it.

-=Jpp=-

1. install RH 6.2 over RH 7.0, install problem

Hi,

after several trials I managed to start the RH 6.2 installation manager using:
boot dkb0 -file kernels/generic.gz -flags "root=/dev/hdc"   in SRM.
When I choose KDE workstation installation in the installation manager I get the following error:
"An error has occured - no valid devices were found on which to create new filesystems. Please check
your hardwarefor the cause of this problem"

I have a Miata with 2 scsi HD's and I don't really know what kind of cd-rom.
Is this error due to a bad boot command in SRM or due to the fact that RH 7.0 is already installed
on the system ?.
If yes how do I remove it using SRM ?

Thanks a lot.

Machseven

2. kcore file ?

3. Redhat 5.0 install problem, Error occurred while installing bootloader

4. patching a new kernel

5. 2.2.5 Install and X Install Problems

6. i am ignorant: what the $#@! is SP

7. RedHat 3.0.3 install problems (actually, non-install)

8. Book: Running Linux by Matt Welsh

9. Install problem, installing over Linux

10. Redhat 6.1 Install Problem - Install Disk

11. MH install problems on LINUX: problems with FILE

12. Slackware 2.02 install problems / problems with floppy code?

13. ssh install problem (Newbie compile problem?)