SB 16 AWE 32 PnP CD-ROM workaround problem solved!

SB 16 AWE 32 PnP CD-ROM workaround problem solved!

Post by Mike Lebru » Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Greetings all:

I come to you with somewhat goods news.

First of all, this will mostly affect users of 486 and 386 systems of which
have 1 "true" IDE controller with 2 hard drives connected to it, and a
Sound Blaster AWE 32 Plug and Play sound card with their CD-ROM attached to
it, and are running a Windows 95 and Linux combo.  In addition, this "fix"
does not take LILO into consideration, it does, however, require the use of
"LODLIN15.ZIP" which is found in the root user's directory of the Slackware
3.0 distribution install.

Okay, enough with that, on with the show.

Now, Linux didn't like my CD-ROM being connected to the quaternary IDE port
(0x168, 0x36E, IRQ 10) simply because it didn't scan that high for the
presence of the CD.  After trying to add "append=" lines to my "LINUX.BAT"
file which runs LOADLIN v1.5 without any luck, I decided to venture to
Windows 95's device manager.  Select the "Creative IDE CD-ROM Drive" from
the Hard Disk Controllers, check its properties.  Now when you go to
Resources, you should see it being at the above "quaternary" port address.
To change this, deselect "Use Automatic Settings".  Next, pick Basic
Configuration 0003, which should be for the secondary IDE port (0x170,
0x376, IRQ 15).  Click OK, and the computer will chug a little as it
changes the config.

Now, the second step, would be to edit the "DOSSTART.BAT" file in
C:\WINDOWS.  This file should have CTCM loading before running LODLIN's
LINUX.BAT.  And for the CD-ROM to work in DOS, make sure you change the
address in the "SBIDE.SYS" line of the DOSSTART.BAT file to reflect the
changes you made in the Windows 95 Device manager.

Once CTCM is run, and "5 of 5" plug and play devices configured, you should
be able to boot into Linux, and have the kernel find your CD-ROM on IDE1.
Now, I'm taking it for granted that you have already recompiled the Linux
kernel to use IDE/ATAPI CD-ROMs, as well as the secondary IDE channel.

Well, that's about it.  If you have any questions, please feel free to send
me some e-mail, and I can send you my LINUX.BAT and DOSSTART.BAT files if
that's where you are stuck.

Good luck, and God speed!
        Mike Lebrun
        http://www.cnwl.igs.net/~mikel

1. SB 16 PNP--NEED WORKAROUND TO GET CD-ROM WORKING

Hello:

I currently have an SB 16 PNP card, and I have the CD-ROM attached to a DTC
2278E Enhanced IDE controller on the secondary port portion of the card. I
had been using this until my Promose DC4030VL-2 hard disk controller was
fixed.

But now that it is, I have the dilemma of trying to figure out where to
reattach the CD-ROM. I used isapnptools to get the SB card to work, but I
couldn't get the CD-ROM to detect on the onboard secondary IDE port of the
card. Hence, the attachment to the IDE controller.

I was thinking of trying to attach the CD-ROM to the Promise controller,
but I'm not sure it's designed to handle this (it has two IDE ports
onboard, but says nothing about either of them handling a secondary port).

Any workarounds offered would certainly be appreciated. If you had managed
to have had your CD-ROM detected on the PNP card, further suggestions would
be welcomed in that vein as well.

Regards,
Velanche Stewart

2. How do I cut and paste with the mouse?

3. Mitsumi Cd-ROM / Sb-Awe 32 Problems !

4. Cirrus Logic 5426 - Screen flickers!

5. SB 16 / SB AWE 32 Question

6. Development Environments

7. Acer 8x CD-ROM and SB 32 PnP

8. Routing Anomolies!

9. /dev/audio problems w/ SB 32 pnp AWE...

10. linux, Mitsumi CD-ROM (& SB), & the TA CD-ROM - solved!

11. CDROM in SB AWE 32 PnP card

12. Rh 5.2 and SB AWE 32 PnP freezing

13. SB AWE/PnP 32