Mounting CD ROM vs. Mounting CD ROM

Post by Carsten Braeutiga » Tue, 04 Jul 1995 04:00:00

What is the difference in mounting a CD at boot-time (entry in
/etc/fstab) and mounting at run-time (using mount command)?

I can mount any CD at boot-time (and then access it in any way), but
the system freezes when I try to mount/remount a CD at run-time. What
can I do?

Any help appreciated.

(I have a 486DX266 with EIDE and 2 harddisks at primary interface (id0)
as master and slave, and the NEC 272 (4x) CD-Rom as Master on the
secondary IDE interface (id1)). Using kernel 1.2.11/1.3.3.

Carsten.
---

Post by Andrew R. Tef » Fri, 07 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>What is the difference in mounting a CD at boot-time (entry in
>/etc/fstab) and mounting at run-time (using mount command)?

Well, none really except that options in the fstab will be used.

Quote:>I can mount any CD at boot-time (and then access it in any way), but
>the system freezes when I try to mount/remount a CD at run-time. What
>can I do?

Perhaps you are not specifying all the options correctly when you mount
by hand. Once an entry is in fstab, you can also say 'mount /mount-point'
and it will automatically use the options listed in the fstab. That's handy.

I've just ploughed through the entirety of misc,hardware and setup, to no
avail;  I installed Linux from the sbpcd boot disk (as I have a Panasonic
CD-ROM drive hanging off a SoundBlaster-compat. card), and the CD-ROM drive
chugged away happily to give me the OS.  However, my concerns about the size of
everything I was prompted to install made me decide NOT to install the linux
source.

Now, when I boot up the CD drive cannot be mounted because of 'wrong fs, blah
blah, or other error'.  I interrogated sbpcd.h (I *did* install the includes)
and the setup was incorrect.  Because I can't mount the CD drive I can't get
the source off the CD - re-booting off the boot disk (sbpcd) and trying a
reinstall  from the CD using setup gives a warning that the CD drive can't be
mounted.

Should I delete the linux partition and start from scratch again?  I do really
need to access the CD drive, and I realise now that it is kind of useful to
have the OS source.

Apart from that, it's great having a proper OS on my PC at last!

John

2. SUNSOFT LAUNCHES SOLARIS EVALUATION PROGRAM

3. PAS 16 CD-ROM and Slakware96, mounting CD-ROM crashes system

4. PPP Dynamic Addressing

5. Mount CD-ROM over network and report as CD-ROM

6. Package removal

7. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

8. Weird mkisofs Behavior

9. replace cd-rom with CD-R / can't find mount CD-R drive

10. mount CD roms espec. Linux Applications ROM

11. Mounting DOS CD on SPARC CD/ROM

12. "mounted cd-rom" and "mounted samba share" icons on KDE 3.1 desktop

13. NFS mounting a vold mounted CD-ROM