BBS: Which BBS program you run ?

Post by Wei-Jou Ch » Thu, 13 Jan 1994 10:31:04

What is the BBS program you run ?
Jou

Post by Mark Morl » Fri, 14 Jan 1994 04:20:30

> What is the BBS program you run ?
> Jou

M-Script.  Telnet to island.amtsgi.bc.ca to see it in action.

Mark

Post by David Vesse » Sun, 16 Jan 1994 07:38:14

> What is the BBS program you run ?
> Jou

I don't run a BBS program on Linux at the moment, but I would think that
Waffle for Unix would be source-code compatible with Linux.

--
 ------ dR.Dave....Making the world safe for intelligent dance music. -------

Post by Ian Klu » Tue, 18 Jan 1994 08:55:35

>I don't run a BBS program on Linux at the moment, but I would think that
>Waffle for Unix would be source-code compatible with Linux.

The first problem with that idea is that Waffle's source code isn't free.

I've been helping with the DOS-to-Linux upgrade of a Waffle BBS at "The Tech"
Museum of Innovation in downtown San Jose.  My initial impressions of Waffle
for Unix is that it has too much of a single-user OS mentality to be stable
in a multiuser multitasking environment like Linux.  It has serious problems
if your system gets a lot of traffic.  We're tracking down a problem where
large amounts of incoming mail at one time can make Waffle run away, taking
the CPU with it...

I doubt that anything's perfect but you don't want to put up with this.  Find
something that was made for Unix...
--
Ian Kluft  KD6EUI PP-ASEL

Post by Vince Skah » Wed, 19 Jan 1994 11:43:38

>The first problem with that idea is that Waffle's source code isn't free.
>I doubt that anything's perfect but you don't want to put up with this.  Find
>something that was made for Unix...

please let me know if you find a real BBS package for *nix.

All the ones I've seen are hopelessly lame even in comparison with
DOS Waffle (which is quirky to say the least even though it's stable as hell).

--

     "When you can get your customer to tatoo your name on their chest,
      it is unlikely that they will change brands"

1. lilo error L BB BB BB BB BB

Hello,
I am trying to install debian potato on an elderly system, where
hda-disk is 120MByte and therefore shall host only the /boot - section,
which is mounted to a
10MByte-Partition (/hda1). The rest resides on hde, which a 30GB-HD on
an
promise-controller.

My Problem: After installing debian with some boot parameters for the
controller
and the hde-disk it boots well from the rescue-floppy, but not from hard
disk.
Lilo hangs, showing on the screen:
L BB BB BB BB
and adding a new "BB" every second.

I checked the geometry of hda against BIOS, fdisk, bootmessage and lilo,
they
are identical. I used another location on /hda (perhaps some blocks are
bad?),
but it didn't help.

Could anyone help? What does the Lilo-Message mean? How can I fix this
problem?

Thanks,
Uwe

My output from lilo -v -v -v is

LILO version 21.5-1 beta, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
'lba32' extensions Copyright (C) 1999,2000 John Coffman

Reading boot sector from /dev/hda
Merging with /boot/boot.b
Device 0x0301: BIOS drive 0x80, 5 heads, 901 cylinders,
               53 sectors. Partition offset: 53 sectors.
Secondary loader: 8 sectors.
Device 0x0301: BIOS drive 0x80, 5 heads, 901 cylinders,
               53 sectors. Partition offset: 53 sectors.
Boot image: /vmlinuz
Device 0x0301: BIOS drive 0x80, 5 heads, 901 cylinders,
               53 sectors. Partition offset: 53 sectors.
Setup length is 8 sectors.
Mapped 0 sectors.
Added Linux *
    <dev=0xb0,hd=0,cyl=11,sct=112>
    "ro root=2101 BOOT_FILE=/vmlinuz ide2=0x1030,0x1042
     ide3=0x1038,0x1046 hde=59554,16,63"
Skipping /vmlinuz.old
/boot/boot.0300 exists - no backup copy made.
Map file size: 13824 bytes.
Writing boot sector.

2. Adaptec 2920 and RedHat 4.1

3. lilo error L BB BB BB BB

4. ET4000W32 Xserver for Xfree86 v2.0

5. Announcing; New Linux BBS Software / New Linux BBS

6. ip checking and rebooting if host down.

7. Linux BBS Drealm for Freebsd??..Or any other good BBS's??

8. I need epson stylus 400 drivers

9. Announcing; New Linux BBS Software / New Linux BBS

10. BBS setup using VU BBS

11. Decent Linux/UNIX BBS program?

12. BBS programs?

13. Software to run a mailbox(BBS) for linux???