how to delete useless email

Post by bbyeun » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I got some messages in the /var/spool/mail directory that are
for 'deleted' users.  Just wonder whether remove the unwanted files by
simply deleting them would cause any problem.

Thanks.

how to delete useless email

Post by Gregory G. Woodbur » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00

It will be no problem.  Once the users are "gone" the mailbox in /var/spool/mail
can be deleted without creating problems. If more mail arrives for the "gone"
user and the mail system doesn't reject it, the mailbox will simply be created
as necessary.  Its a good idea to look at /var/spool/mail occasionally and
look for system account or other mail files that are getting too big.

> Hi,

> I got some messages in the /var/spool/mail directory that are
> for 'deleted' users.  Just wonder whether remove the unwanted files by
> simply deleting them would cause any problem.

> Thanks.

> --

Gregory Woodbury
SysAdmin group  OAO NIEHS ITSSC
work phone:919 361 5444 x404

how to delete useless email

Post by Stev » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I got some messages in the /var/spool/mail directory that are
>for 'deleted' users.  Just wonder whether remove the unwanted files by
>simply deleting them would cause any problem.

If the users accounts no longer exist then who'll miss the mail messages?

--
Cheers

%HAV-A-NICEDAY Error not enough coffee  0 pps.

web http://www.ndirect.co.uk/~sjlen/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

  5:22pm  up 6 days, 19:23,  3 users,  load average: 1.28, 1.33, 1.26

1. This Week's Useless Thread About Useless Use of Cat Award goes t

<sigh>

When you've done as much for the net community as Randal Schwartz, you
can insult him.

IMHO Randal is doing us all a favour by making us *think* before we
spawn extra processes rather then just going ahead and doing it.

-cdr

http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/cdrovers
----------------------Hit any user to continue------------------------

2. Problems setting up DELL for X

3. E-Mail E-Mail E-Mail

4. I think I have been HACKED!!!

5. extract email from text file and send an email to the email address

6. Shared Memory Nailing

7. Qmail: delete e-mails from the queue.

8. Need help tracing lpd problem printing from VAX VMS to Linux

9. POP3 - Email Won't Delete

10. Deleting Duplicate Emails (Special Case)

11. pop not deleting email after downloading

12. Script for deleting email from server?

13. How to delete old emails