were can i find the most recent download of linux

were can i find the most recent download of linux

Post by John Phillip » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Im new to linux and want to download linux and check it out.  I currently
use win98.

John

Post by Person » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Im new to linux and want to download linux and check it out.  I currently
> use win98.

> John

A good ftp site to try (assuming you want the full distributions) is
sunsite.unc.edu.  You'll find the latest Redhat-5.2 distribution, and I
think debian and slackware distributions too.  However, you will be
downloading a lot of files (60-80Mbytes?).  May I suggest you go to a
bookstore or local discount computer store and buy the CD from there.  Or,
cheapest I've heard about is to get the distributions of Linux from
www.cheapbytes.com for $1.99 per disk.

Good Luck,
--Persona

Post by Mark Robinso » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Im new to linux and want to download linux and check it out.  I currently
> use win98.

> John

Like Persona said, you should go out and buy the CD.  However, if your new
to Linux you should buy the OFFICIAL distro of , say, RedHat(They offer tech
support with full ver)  it may cost more, but it comes with manual, tech
support, boot disk, 3 CDs, and that warm fuzzy feeling.