What actualy is GGI?

Post by Iztok Polani » Mon, 12 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hello !!!

Look at the subject!

                                                                Bye.

        xxxxxx                           //////
        xx  xx                          ( o o )
        xx  xx        /------------oOO-----O-----OOo------------\
         xxxx         |           From: Iztok Polanic           |

       xx    xx       |   WWW: http://www2.arnes.si/~ssdipola   |
      xx      xx      \-----------------------------------------/

What actualy is GGI?

Post by Christopher Brow » Mon, 12 Jan 1998 04:00:00

On 11 Jan 98 17:18:56 GMT, Iztok Polanic

>Hello !!!

>Look at the subject!

Hello !!!

Look at the home page!

<http://synergy.caltech.edu:80/~ggi/>

Short answer: It's the "General Graphics Interface," that seeks to
provide a common abstraction layer for graphics devices.

The intent is to put some low level memory management and I/O code and
"better" console I/O management code into the kernel ("KGI"), then use
user-level libraries to talk to KGI to do such things as implementing
drivers for particular cards ("libGGI"), and then use further user-level
libraries and programs to talk to libGGI to implement graphic
applications.

The initial intent is to provide:
- Improved robustness (console switching can, at present, mess up one's
system)
- Nice handling of multiheaded systems (e.g. - multiple screens,
keyboards, mice)

Later plans are to make libGGI (and driver-related components) "smarter"
so that you get faster graphics.

And one can implement multiple libraries atop libGGI, so that you can
do
- Some DOS text GUI emulation schemes to make it easy to port some old
DOS software to Linux (that exist now)
- X atop GGI (this exists now)
- SVGAlib atop GGI (which is quite an attractive idea; possibly
partially implemented; this would revitalize SVGAlib)
- Possibly other GUIs atop GGI (Berlin being the most notable planned
thing at this point; Tk/DPS/Gtk would be quite interesting alternatives
that I don't think are planned)
--
"Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
phasers on the Heffalump, Piglet, meet me in transporter room three"

<http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>

1. What does lock_kernel and unlock_kernel actualy makes ?

 Is it performs a full stop of kernel (except some life-parts of course) ?
What parts are still working ? What can I do (call, implement) and what I
can't between lock and unlock ?
By the way I want to prevent process memory access from anyone but my kernel
process, is a lock_kernel helps ?
Thanks

Eugene

2. FTP Service not working