hdparm losing settings on both IDE drives?

hdparm losing settings on both IDE drives?

Post by Stewart Honsberg » Sun, 20 Aug 2000 11:37:30

I'm currently using the settings;

hdparm -u1 -c1 -k1

for both of my IDE drives, but every time I re-start my computer the
settings are lost (return to their '0' values, thus cutting my IDE
speed in half). Is this normal? Is there a better way to keep the
settings than this, or do I have to put that line in my startup
scripts somewhere?

(BTW - I've also tried adding '-K1' to the command-line, but the
settings were lost then, too).

Thanks in advance, and until I hear anything further, I suppose I'll
just stick that command-line into my startup scripts.

--

Humming along under SuSE 6.4, Linux 2.4.0-test5

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 20 Aug 2000 13:13:20

>I'm currently using the settings;

>hdparm -u1 -c1 -k1

>for both of my IDE drives, but every time I re-start my computer the
>settings are lost (return to their '0' values, thus cutting my IDE
>speed in half). Is this normal? Is there a better way to keep the
>settings than this, or do I have to put that line in my startup
>scripts somewhere?

When you reboot, everything is starting fresh, so it you want something
set a certain way, you have to arrange for it.  You could always put them
in /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

You might want to use a full path to hdparm, in case its path is not in
the startup script PATH.

http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/