Making Backspace as Delete

Making Backspace as Delete

Post by Yon Han CHON » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00



Most of the time my Backspace works as Delete but sometime it doesn't.
For example when I use ftp it doesn't work as delete. Is there easy
way to correct this.
--
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Yon Han Chong                     |
Flow Control and Prediction Group | Tel: + 44 1234 750 111 ext. 5420

Cranfield University              | Fax: + 44 1234 752 149
United Kingdom                    | Mobile: + 44 958 381 395
----------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Making Backspace as Delete

Post by Anil Mahaj » Sat, 28 Mar 1998 04:00:00


yes, you can remap this with the "stty" command.
To make backspace work you can do:
    stty erase  

(to make the   do not type a carrot and then H "^H"
 instead you want to do <control-v><backspace> which will give you the
  . The same can be done for delete ( ) to make it your erase char.)

- Anil.



Quote:>Most of the time my Backspace works as Delete but sometime it doesn't.
>For example when I use ftp it doesn't work as delete. Is there easy
>way to correct this.


 
 
 

Making Backspace as Delete

Post by Wayne To » Sun, 29 Mar 1998 04:00:00


On Thu, 26 Mar 1998 11:44:40 +0000

Quote:>Most of the time my Backspace works as Delete but sometime it doesn't.
>For example when I use ftp it doesn't work as delete. Is there easy
>way to correct this.
>--

create a .inputrc file in your home directory with the following:

DEL: delete-char
"\e[4~": end-of-line
"\e[1~": beginning-of-line

then source the file ie  (source .inputrc)  or ( . .inputrc) or reboot.

You will now find the Backspace - Home and End keys work as you expect
they should.

checkout old issues of the Linux Gazette (www.ssc.com/lg/) for
information on makinmg your own custom.map (keyboard) setup.

HTH

Wayne

>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>Yon Han Chong                     |
>Flow Control and Prediction Group | Tel: + 44 1234 750 111 ext. 5420

>Cranfield University              | Fax: + 44 1234 752 149
>United Kingdom                    | Mobile: + 44 958 381 395
>----------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Making Backspace as Delete

Post by Gerald Willman » Mon, 30 Mar 1998 04:00:00



Quote:> create a .inputrc file in your home directory with the following:
> DEL: delete-char
> "\e[4~": end-of-line
> "\e[1~": beginning-of-line
> then source the file ie  (source .inputrc)  or ( . .inputrc) or reboot.

I have tried this and it doesn't work - bash complains it doesn't know the
commands. Are you using a different shell and do you happen to know how it
should look like for bash ??

thanks,  Gerald

-----------------------------------------------------------
Gerald Willmann                    Department of Economics
Hulme 7B, Escondido Vlg.           Landau 212 B
Stanford, CA 94305, USA            Stanford, CA 94305-6072
phone: +1(650)497-0902 (home)      +1(650)725-8951 (work)

 
 
 

Making Backspace as Delete

Post by Richard Stein » Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:00:00



spake unto us, saying:


>> create a .inputrc file in your home directory with the following:
>> DEL: delete-char
>> "\e[4~": end-of-line
>> "\e[1~": beginning-of-line
>> then source the file ie  (source .inputrc)  or ( . .inputrc) or reboot.

>I have tried this and it doesn't work - bash complains it doesn't know the
>commands. Are you using a different shell and do you happen to know how it
>should look like for bash ??

I use this one, and it works for bash (at least here):

"\e[1~": beginning-of-line
"\e[3~": delete-char
"\e[4~": end-of-line

$if term=linux
"\C-?": backward-delete-char
$else
"\C-?": delete-char
$endif

set bell-style  none
set meta-flag           on
set convert-meta        off
set output-meta         on

--

           OS/2 Warp 4 + Linux + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!
                   The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.