Compressed filesystem or Compressed loop?

Compressed filesystem or Compressed loop?

Post by Mark Mynste » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 23:27:21

I would like to create a compressed CVS repository, but I can not seem
to find a simple way to do this. . .  (Or really any way.)

I have seen people talk about the existence of a compressed loop.
What is this?  Does a compressed, read/write filesystem exist?

I found zisofs, but that looks like it would work read only, and
really only for a CD, i.e. the file tree needs to exist first then the
iso filesystem is created. . .  I found squashfs but that is also read
only.  If I create a loop-back device, i.e. a file that works like a
filesystem, I need to uncompress the file prior to mounting the loop.

Any ideas?

--
-MM
I rarely read email from this address          /"\

1. Mount compressed file as a loop device (mount -o loop.. )

Dear NG,

is it possible to mount transparantly a compressed file (bzip2 or
gzip) as loop device? Something like mount -o loop myfile.gz
/tmp/myfolder ? I want use it to save space on a flash disk.

I wouldn't mind to use other options / compressions to save space on
flash. Could somebody point me to some information on it? I found
myself about e2compr, but it isn't supported for 2.4* kernel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andre

2. comp.os.linux.announce report for Mon Nov 19 00:05:01 CST 2001

3. COMPRESS (how much does it compress?)

4. Linux support in DC area

5. compressing on the fly: father process seems to end before popened compress

6. Seeking suggestions how to test cache memory..

7. To compress or not to compress, that is the question.

8. Convert SunOS object files into Solaris object files?

9. Compressed 2.2 kernel about 35% larger than compressed 2.0.x?

10. File system compression, mounting a compressed file as a loop device.

11. Compressed Diskette Root Filesystem?

12. ANNOUNCEMENT: Squashfs released (a highly compressed filesystem)

13. compressed filesystem