I'm forgetting something...

Post by John Oliv » Wed, 03 Dec 1997 04:00:00

It's been a little while since I compiled a kernel, and evidentially
I've forgotten something.  I make mrproper, then make menuconfig.
Save the results, make dep ; make clean, then make zImage.  cp zImage
/vmlinuz, then make zlilo.  And... I *still* wind up with 2.0.30
instead of 2.0.32.  And, while it was compiling, it was going in and
out of directories under /linux-2.0.32, so I know it's not a bad
symlink or anything.

I'm forgetting something...

Post by Frank Sweetse » Wed, 03 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> It's been a little while since I compiled a kernel, and evidentially
> I've forgotten something.  I make mrproper, then make menuconfig.
> Save the results, make dep ; make clean, then make zImage.  cp zImage
> /vmlinuz, then make zlilo.  And... I *still* wind up with 2.0.30
> instead of 2.0.32.  And, while it was compiling, it was going in and
> out of directories under /linux-2.0.32, so I know it's not a bad
> symlink or anything.

You put the kernel image in /vmlinuz - but what does your /etc/lilo.conf
point to?

paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat 5.0   Linux 2.0.32   i586   | at public servers
[Norm returns from the hospital.]

Coach:  What's up, Norm?
Norm:   Everything that's supposed to be.
                -- Cheers, Diane Meets Mom

I'm forgetting something...

Post by John Oliv » Thu, 04 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>> It's been a little while since I compiled a kernel, and evidentially
>> I've forgotten something.  I make mrproper, then make menuconfig.
>> Save the results, make dep ; make clean, then make zImage.  cp zImage
>> /vmlinuz, then make zlilo.  And... I *still* wind up with 2.0.30
>> instead of 2.0.32.  And, while it was compiling, it was going in and
>> out of directories under /linux-2.0.32, so I know it's not a bad
>> symlink or anything.

>You put the kernel image in /vmlinuz - but what does your /etc/lilo.conf
>point to?

Hmmm... lilo.conf used to point to /vmlinuz.  Now, it points to
/boot/vmlinuz.  So, I copied /vmlinuz to /boot/vmlinuz and... still
boot to 2.0.30.

Guess I can try again...

I'm forgetting something...

Post by Roy Stogn » Thu, 04 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>>> It's been a little while since I compiled a kernel, and evidentially
>>> I've forgotten something.  I make mrproper, then make menuconfig.
>>> Save the results, make dep ; make clean, then make zImage.  cp zImage
>>> /vmlinuz, then make zlilo.  And... I *still* wind up with 2.0.30
>>> instead of 2.0.32.  And, while it was compiling, it was going in and
>>> out of directories under /linux-2.0.32, so I know it's not a bad
>>> symlink or anything.

>>You put the kernel image in /vmlinuz - but what does your /etc/lilo.conf
>>point to?

>Hmmm... lilo.conf used to point to /vmlinuz.  Now, it points to
>/boot/vmlinuz.  So, I copied /vmlinuz to /boot/vmlinuz and... still
>boot to 2.0.30.

You shouldn't need to "make zImage" before "make zlilo" as the latter
option includes both the kernel compilation and rerunning lilo.  The
make sequence I use most often can be entered in one line at the
command prompt:

make dep && make clean && make zlilo && make modules && make modules_install

Try that and reboot, and see what happens.  If it still is going to 2.0.30,
then check what image lilo.conf points to, check what the modification time
of that image is to make sure it was changed with the last recompile, and
let us know what happens.
---
Roy Stogner

I'm forgetting something...

Post by John Oliv » Thu, 04 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>You shouldn't need to "make zImage" before "make zlilo" as the latter
>option includes both the kernel compilation and rerunning lilo.  The
>make sequence I use most often can be entered in one line at the
>command prompt:

I didn't realize that...

Quote:>make dep && make clean && make zlilo && make modules && make modules_install

Oops!  I forgot my modules... oh well, I did get 2.0.32 to boot.  I
suppose I can still go back and do my modules, or do I need to do
everything all over *again*? :-)

I'm forgetting something...

Post by David Manda » Thu, 04 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I always use make zImage and then mv arch/i386/boot/zImage
/boot/vmlinuz-x.x.x.v.x and then make an entry in /etc/lilo.conf so I can
revert to any prior version of linux and finally run lilo. The make zlilo does
not give you anything to fall back to as I understand it.

The top most entry in lilo.conf is the default boot kernel. I usually keep 2
or 3 versions in case I have a boot problem or some problem crops up days
later.

>>You shouldn't need to "make zImage" before "make zlilo" as the latter
>>option includes both the kernel compilation and rerunning lilo.  The
>>make sequence I use most often can be entered in one line at the
>>command prompt:

>I didn't realize that...

>>make dep && make clean && make zlilo && make modules && make modules_install

Yep you can do a make modules and make modules_install and then just reboot.
Quote:>Oops!  I forgot my modules... oh well, I did get 2.0.32 to boot.  I