Options with my new Alpha.

Post by J. S. Jense » Mon, 15 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I am going to buy myself an DEC Alpha. :-)

What are my options as far as distributions?   Is RedHat the only that
sells Alpha Distributions?

Also, I'll be completely new to the new architecture, about what caveats
should I now know?

Thanks for any help :-)

--
J. S. Jensen

http://turing.Mines.EDU/~jsjensen

Options with my new Alpha.

Post by Frank Sweetse » Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I am going to buy myself an DEC Alpha. :-)

> What are my options as far as distributions?   Is RedHat the only that
> sells Alpha Distributions?

> Also, I'll be completely new to the new architecture, about what caveats
> should I now know?

AFAIK, RedHat is the only one that has an alpha release.  Check out their
web page, they've got some decent documentation on what specific ones are
supported, installation instructions, and pointers to more info.

paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat 5.0  Linux 2.0.33p3  i586   | at public servers

Quote:>Ever heard of .cshrc?

That's a city in Bosnia.  Right?
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc on the intuitiveness of commands.)

Options with my new Alpha.

Post by kid » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Go with Redhat 5.0.  It'll kick ass.  If you want Microsoft crap, run NT
4.0 for Alpha.

> I am going to buy myself an DEC Alpha. :-)

> What are my options as far as distributions?   Is RedHat the only that
> sells Alpha Distributions?

> Also, I'll be completely new to the new architecture, about what caveats
> should I now know?

> Thanks for any help :-)

> --
> J. S. Jensen

> http://turing.Mines.EDU/~jsjensen

Options with my new Alpha.

Post by Jon Fiedl » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

On Sun, 14 Dec 1997 21:34:28 -0800, "J. S. Jensen"

>I am going to buy myself an DEC Alpha. :-)

>What are my options as far as distributions?   Is RedHat the only that
>sells Alpha Distributions?

>Also, I'll be completely new to the new architecture, about what caveats
>should I now know?

Be prepared for a way different boot routine.  You'll have to boot
into a console (probably ARC but possibly SRM) and from there load
MILO and then, finally, boot linux.  Be sure to read the relevant
howtos and docs at:
http://www.azstarnet.com/~axplinux/
This and RedHat's site should prove to be very valuable to you in your
adventures.

Jon

1. Linux Alpha Options?

I am going to be installing linux on my new alpha.
I was wondering what my options were for the distribution.

I don't like RedHat, but I appears to be my only option.

BLADE, looks too primitive to be of much help.

I can't find any information on Debian Alpha.

Can anybody point me in the right direction.

Thanks
David Dula

2. Best Hardware configuration

3. Alpha PCI options

4. Scheduled backup problems

5. Fortran Options on Linux/Alpha

6. testing for processes

7. Aging Alpha Box & Linux Options

8. OfficeJet 1170Cxi and Linux?

9. New config option for Apache

10. new isofs option for uppercase filenames (DOS 8.3 format)/SAMBA

11. new natd option

12. New: Change compile-time option CONFIG_APM_RTS_IS_GMT to sysctl-tunable kernel parameter

13. Need help on chosing kernel memory option, when recompile a new kernel