config xbiff to check remote mail file

Post by Xiao G » Mon, 29 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Is it possible to config the xbiff of my linux box, which connects to the
Internet by PPP, to check the file /usr/spool/mail/username on the ppp
server rather than that on my machine?

Thanks.

Regards,

CEG NA CUHK

Post by Laussy Fabric » Mon, 29 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> Is it possible to config the xbiff of my linux box, which connects to the
> Internet by PPP, to check the file /usr/spool/mail/username on the ppp
> server rather than that on my machine?

> Thanks.

> Regards,

> CEG NA CUHK

You know Ko a machine connected to the internet means it has an IP address.
Never your machine is connected to the internet, even when you can browse the
web or ftp, telnet and so on. It is just you hooked up your ISP machine that
is *the* machine on the internet, who lend you its ip address so that what
it receive will be sent to you... It is just some kind of illusion. You do
not really access the internet, but your ISP... not the same. But that is just
philosophic debate and I will surely be flamed for such an opinion.
Meanwhile, you can't use nice and powerfull tools provided for the internet, as
Xbiff (will one say me why it does check the size of the spool rather than the
date?)... because you are not on the internet... the machine you access can use
it and will animate the spiffy icon whenever mail just arrived. How do you want
to do it? The only solution is to be 100% of the time connected via phone line...
rather impossible. So never xbiff should be run on your at-home-linux-box.
(remenber xbiff is to inform you WHEN there is mail... no if there is mail...
there is nothing interessant in running xbiff to check your mail when connecting
the ISP).
Another example of the real difference between a machine on the internet and one
hooking another one is in the finger. Try to finger your account... the mail you
doesn't read is ok, the same as if you were on Internet. The mail you ever read
is always 0 (except if you ask your ISP to keep them... but to do what???), so
that you are an endless beginner for one checking your account ;)
The real solution... try if you can to work somewhere you'll reach a True Internet
Account.

Regards.

--
Fabrice Laussy

config xbiff to check remote mail file

Post by Mr. Caldwe » Mon, 29 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Is it possible to config the xbiff of my linux box, which connects to the
>Internet by PPP, to check the file /usr/spool/mail/username on the ppp
>server rather than that on my machine?

>Thanks.

There isn't a way to xbiff since it's only for local mailboxes. If you want the
checking feature you either need to find a mailer for X that polls your remote
mail box and sounds off on newmail OR get fetchmail and run it to pull your
mail from the remote machine to the local machine, then xbiff will work fine.

Real mail address: jcaldwel at iquest dot net
code word is notaspam put in first line of message
no code word == trashed message

Post by Nix » Tue, 30 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> > Is it possible to config the xbiff of my linux box, which connects to the
> > Internet by PPP, to check the file /usr/spool/mail/username on the ppp
> > server rather than that on my machine?

> > Thanks.

> > Regards,

> > CEG NA CUHK

> You know Ko a machine connected to the internet means it has an IP address.
> Never your machine is connected to the internet, even when you can browse the
> web or ftp, telnet and so on. It is just you hooked up your ISP machine that
> is *the* machine on the internet, who lend you its ip address so that what
> it receive will be sent to you... It is just some kind of illusion. You do
> not really access the internet, but your ISP... not the same. But that is just
> philosophic debate and I will surely be flamed for such an opinion.

And it's not always correct, either. Sure, you're right for dynamic
IP-assigning ISPs, but ISPs *do* exist who give you a static IP
address (eg the address of my host, esperi, is 194.222.138.8, and
shall always be, and shall not change.) This can be fairly useful.

--
`I do honestly believe that my shirts are now *even* whiter, which is
odd because I didn't have any white shirts before I tried that New

Post by Trent Piep » Tue, 30 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Is it possible to config the xbiff of my linux box, which connects to the
>Internet by PPP, to check the file /usr/spool/mail/username on the ppp
>server rather than that on my machine?

Not really.  Xbiff can only look at local files, but you can run it on
your ISP's machine (assuming you have a shell account there) and have is
display on your computer.  I've written a xbiff replacement that knows how
to access a POP3 server and get the number of messages from it.

--
|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason  |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun         |

1. Mail Notifications, Solaris 2.5 Mail 1.01, Xbiff

What a  pain in the ass.  I am running Solaris 2.5, I have this nice
dashboard with a Mail icon that pops up whenever new mail arrives; but, the
second the mail checks for new mail it resets the icon even if I haven't read
the mail yet.  I want the icon to stay up until I have read all NEW email.

I tried using Xbiff and elm, but the same thing happens.  The second elm
retrives the mail, my xbiff flag goes down.  Is there anyway to avoid this?
--
Neil Greene
Senior Oracle DBA / Unix System Administrator

--
Neil Greene
Senior Oracle DBA / Unix System Administrator
SHL Systemhouse, Inc.   LA Outsourcing Center

2. Active FTP with IPFW && NATD?

3. remote mail checking.

4. .XBM Syntax

5. Check remote mail accounts

6. WYSE50 terminal

7. Checking for new mail on remote system

8. help needed

9. HELP -I accidently deleted a config file Please mail me the file.

10. How do I delete mail from mail file /var/mail/su after reading mails

11. Remote xbiff displayed on local sys

12. xbiff on remote, how?

13. How to check when a file is done being copied from a remote machine?