printing pages account in a remote printer

printing pages account in a remote printer

Post by Jorge Rodriguez Bring » Fri, 07 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I would like to control the number of pages each user send to print, in
order to avoid abuses of printing...
I'm using Linux (wich uses a lpr style printing)
Jobs to the remote printer are sent via nfs from windows to the Linux nfs
server.
The Remote printer is a HP laserJet 4M plus, conected directly to the net.
This printer only accept request from the linux machine.
The problems are:

        -Linux doesn't support filters for remote printers, i have find a
solution in the pcnfsd.conf, there you can specify a command to preprocess
the file that it is send to the printer.
I have planned to incorporate in this command a shell script that ask to the
printer the number of pages (via snmp the 4M plus support it), and the when
the job is finished see the page counter to calculate the printed pages.
        - How can you guess that a job is finished?
        - How can you are sure that you are not considering the start of one
job with the end of another one? (that is calculating bad the pages for one
 user)
        I have heard about pac, but it is for use with TEX, dvi, ascii,
ps...files but not with printer formated files of windows.(at least i don't
know any filter for it ;-) ).

If anybody has made something similar to this, I would appreciate any hints,
or configuration script.
Please answer by mail, if anybody is interested in this subject, If we all
find a solution i will post it for everybody

Thank you for your time!

Jorge Rodriguez Bringas                   \|/   ___   \|/

Fac. Ciencias ,Valladolid (SPAIN)         /__( \___/ )__\

1. printing pages account in a remote printer

[...]

2. .profile does not source

3. Automated accounting of pages printed to PostScript printers

4. solaris 8 network config

5. printing to remote printer under particular account name

6. Please help. KDE

7. Printer Problem: Default page size resets after power outage on remote line printer

8. IP alias - Kernel crash - 1.2.13 kernel, 3com 3c590 module

9. More page outs than page ins?

10. Printing a pdf file duplex and 4 pages per page to a postscript printer

11. Remote printing to remote unix printer problem with cpi= option

12. Printing Man Pages to PS printer vs. PCL Printer (SVR4)?

13. printer printing some blank pages during postscript printing ?