How can I change from GNOME desktop environment to KDE desktop env?

How can I change from GNOME desktop environment to KDE desktop env?

Post by vasan » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 04:06:29

Guys,

How can I change from GNOME desktop environment to KDE desktop env?. I
installed both on my Linux (RH 8.0) machine. Apprecited and thanks in
advance guys.

How can I change from GNOME desktop environment to KDE desktop env?

Post by Lenard Charter » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 05:46:14

Quote:> Guys,

> How can I change from GNOME desktop environment to KDE desktop env?. I
> installed both on my Linux (RH 8.0) machine. Apprecited and thanks in
> advance guys.

man switchdesk

--
end
Why you cannot read this, try a different reader!!

Post by B. Joshua Rose » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 06:37:03

> Guys,

> How can I change from GNOME desktop environment to KDE desktop env?. I
> installed both on my Linux (RH 8.0) machine. Apprecited and thanks in
> advance guys.

There is a menu item on the login screen.

How can I change from GNOME desktop environment to KDE desktop env?

Post by Linus Plu » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 07:31:17

Anothe possibility is to alter your /HOME/.xinitrc
instead of gnome you can insert /opt/kde/3.1/kdm (or wherever yor kdem lies).
then yust do a 'startx'

SeeYa
Linus

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 16:37:03 -0500

Post by Dave Brow » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 22:06:26

> Anothe possibility is to alter your /HOME/.xinitrc
> instead of gnome you can insert /opt/kde/3.1/kdm (or wherever yor kdem lies).
> then yust do a 'startx'

> SeeYa
> Linus

Or, if you use "graphical login", put "exec startkde" in your ~/.Xclients
file.  (Don't forget to make .Xclients "executable".)  .Xclients is
better than .xinitrc, which is read only when starting X with startx.
.Xclients is read in both cases, graphical and text login.

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

1. Changing Desktop Environments (Window Managers) & Performance of Desktop Environments

Hello,

Recently my educational institution purchased a UltraSparc Server (on
SunOS), along with about 35 terminals which run CDE as their desktop
environment. Although it is tolerable to use this desktop environment, come
time for about 35 students using the terminals, the terminals become
terribly slow. Furthermore, I have used other desktop environments and I
find them to be much faster when compared to CDE.
I am wondering if someone can give me a pointer on the performance of
CDE--can it expected that CDE is this slow, or are there other desktop
environments that are much faster. (The system admin is considering the
installation of KDE or XFCE)
That leads to my second question: I want to change from CDE to something
like KDE or XFCE. Being a seasoned Linux user, I'm a bit confused. When I
look into the home directory for a temporary user, I see no file by the name
of .xinitrc (this file allows one to change the window manager). I'm
confused. The only files that I found in SunOS were in /usr/dt/config/; but
none of the files mentioned changing the desktop environment.
So my second question to you is, how can I change the window manager. I know
how to install everything quite easily, but I need the login system to be
able to execute the new desktop environment.
I know not if I am very clear with this message, but if you are able to
decrypt my words, I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thank you for your time, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Matthew J. Alicton

2. Team Gates: How low can you go?

3. How to change gnome desktop to KDE desktop ?

4. Fritzcard PnP und Linux? Dringend Treiber gesucht.

5. Changing the default kde directory Desktop to .Desktop

6. Script: Split stdin to several processes ?

7. KDM/KDE does not allow changing desktop image/no desktop links

8. Mach64 264CT

9. Desktop environment - gnome? - KDE? - ?

10. Cannot change from KDE to Gnome desktop...newbie help please...

11. Freedom Desktop Lite - Public Desktop Environment

12. KDE desktop/environment

13. how to change and reboot Solaris 8 7/01 desktop operating environment without CD