very basic basic newbie question

Post by Jack Altradmo » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 08:22:22

Hi, sorry to bug everyone with such a simple question...   are there any key
shortcuts in GNOME to help me navigate if the mouse doesn't respond..?

I'm brand new to Linux..   I'm trying to install RedHat 7 and having major
problems with X configuration.

1st time I got it working but the desktop was about 4x larger than the
screen..  tried different resolution but then desktop only took up half the
screen. I guess this is because I chose a monitor which was close to mine
(but not exact). I have a CTX 1569S and chose CTX 1565. (Video card is an
ATI 3d Xpression+). I have now found what I think are the H & V sync rates
and reconfigured it as custom but now the mouse does not work!!  It's a dual
boot config and the mouse still works in Win 95 so it ain't a hardware
fault. The GNOME desktop comes up correctly proportioned in the screen but
several of the apps open as well (such as help browser and what looks like a
file browser). The panel is autohide and I cannot get it to appear. I can't
close any of these windows down because Alt doesn't seem to activate the
menu items...

What is happening.....?

very basic basic newbie question

Post by John To » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 10:38:09

        Try mouseconfig

On Thu, 08 Feb 2001 23:22:22 GMT, Jack Altradmon

--
_____________________

The lap of Linuxury
|<de in RH6.0

very basic basic newbie question

Post by Jack Altradmo » Tue, 13 Feb 2001 02:46:22

John...

I tried mouseconfig and it seemed to do the trick.

However, I've just run sndconfig to get the sound card working, which it
did, but the mouse has stopped working again!!  Even re-running mouseconfig
again won't restore it...

Any ideas ?

Jack

> Try mouseconfig

> On Thu, 08 Feb 2001 23:22:22 GMT, Jack Altradmon

> >Hi, sorry to bug everyone with such a simple question...   are there any
key
> >shortcuts in GNOME to help me navigate if the mouse doesn't respond..?

> >I'm brand new to Linux..   I'm trying to install RedHat 7 and having
major
> >problems with X configuration.

> >1st time I got it working but the desktop was about 4x larger than the
> >screen..  tried different resolution but then desktop only took up half
the
> >screen. I guess this is because I chose a monitor which was close to mine
> >(but not exact). I have a CTX 1569S and chose CTX 1565. (Video card is an
> >ATI 3d Xpression+). I have now found what I think are the H & V sync
rates
> >and reconfigured it as custom but now the mouse does not work!!  It's a
dual
> >boot config and the mouse still works in Win 95 so it ain't a hardware
> >fault. The GNOME desktop comes up correctly proportioned in the screen
but
> >several of the apps open as well (such as help browser and what looks
like a
> >file browser). The panel is autohide and I cannot get it to appear. I
can't
> >close any of these windows down because Alt doesn't seem to activate the
> >menu items...

> >What is happening.....?

> --
> _____________________

> The lap of Linuxury
> |<de in RH6.0

1. Basic basic troff question??!

G'day,

I know this is really simple (too simple for an FAQ!) but:

how can I use troff or nroff to print a troff or nroff document (such as
the source of a man page) to either my screen or a plain line printer?

Jeff.

G.P.O. Box 619, Sydney, NSW, Australia, 2001.
Ph: +61-18-219955.   [(018)219955]            Fax: +61-2-983-9046  [(02)9839046]

2. Which Linux distribution best for very large web site?

3. Basic, Basic SCSI Question

4. Advantages of SuSe

5. Newbie basic questions... many questions

6. Panic: VFS: LRU block list corrupted

7. Basic and Basic->C converter wanted

8. no tapes (SCSI) found, Linux 1.0

9. No ROM BASIC Use Toshiba Basic

10. basic, very basic

11. The most basic of basics..

12. Very basic problem for a basic user....counting pipes and appending to the end of line.

13. Basic Compiler/Basic-to-C Compiler