mounting floppy read-only problem

Post by Marat Ruvino » Thu, 24 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Under Red-Hat Linux 5.2, when I try to mount the floppy drive
- "mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy" I always get
the following -
"/dev/fd0 is read-only file system"

I want it to be writable ....

What should I do????

-Marat

mounting floppy read-only problem

Post by Rod Bric » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Make sure the write protect switch on the diskette itself is set
correctly ;-)

> Under Red-Hat Linux 5.2, when I try to mount the floppy drive
> - "mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy" I always get
> the following -
> "/dev/fd0 is read-only file system"

> I want it to be writable ....

> What should I do????

> -Marat

mounting floppy read-only problem

Post by Marat Ruvino » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

The disk is not write-protected....I verified it.
More precisely, the message is
"block device /dev/fd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only"

And the permissions for /dev/fd0 are writable. So I'm not sure.......

-Marat

Post by Scott Lanni » Sat, 26 Jun 1999 04:00:00

: The disk is not write-protected....I verified it.
: More precisely, the message is
: "block device /dev/fd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only"
:
: And the permissions for /dev/fd0 are writable. So I'm not sure.....

What does the appropriate entry in /etc/fstab say?

--

"If lightning is the anger of the gods, the gods are concerned mostly
with trees." --Lao Tse

mounting floppy read-only problem

Post by Marat Ruvino » Sat, 26 Jun 1999 04:00:00

/etc/fstab entry has:
"/dev/fd0   /mnt/floppy    ext2     noauto     0  0"

>: The disk is not write-protected....I verified it.
>: More precisely, the message is
>: "block device /dev/fd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only"
>:
>: And the permissions for /dev/fd0 are writable. So I'm not sure.....

>What does the appropriate entry in /etc/fstab say?

>--

>"If lightning is the anger of the gods, the gods are concerned mostly
>with trees." --Lao Tse

mounting floppy read-only problem

Post by Scott Lanni » Sat, 26 Jun 1999 04:00:00

: /etc/fstab entry has:
: "/dev/fd0   /mnt/floppy    ext2     noauto     0  0"

You are mounting with -t msdos, but the filesystem table
says /dev/fd0 is -t ext2. Change "ext2" to "msdos".

Other bits of fstab trivia (man 'mount' and 'fstab'):

* Because the entry contains "/mnt/floppy", it's unnecessary
  to specify that option when mounting; the same goes for "msdos".
  Consequently,

      mount /dev/fd0

  is sufficient to mount the floppy.

* You may remove the last two numbers "0 0" because that is the
  default. Another default is that filesystems are mounted
  read-write (rw).

* The "noauto" option indicates that fd0 won't be mounted by
  the "mount -a" command (which is given by init on bootup and mounts
  all filesystems in /etc/fstab). There is another option, "user",
  which allows ordinary (non-root) users to mount the filesystem.
  Thus,

      /dev/fd0  /mnt/floppy     msdos   user,noauto

  lets any user use the command

      mount /dev/fd0

  to mount an msdos filesystem on a floppy which isn't mounted
  on startup. If you're lazy like me, you put the following aliases
  in, say, /etc/bashrc

      alias mfd='mount /dev/fd0'
      alias umfd='umount /dev/fd0'

--

"One should not confuse this craving for change and novelty with the
indifference of play which is in its greatest levity at the same time

1. Slackware root floppy mounted read-only.

I am unable to install Slackware 1.1.1 using setup due to an error
(twice, in fact) with file /etc/mtab.  I am unable to continue
installation because the mounted filesystem is read-only, which I assume
means the root filesystem currently mounted through fd0.

Any ideas?  Anyone like to talk me through this one?

--
Dan D'Ambrosio                                             Up all night!!

814-825-4389

2. sendmail.. FIXED

3. HELP! Floppy drive always mounts read-only

4. comsat with ":mailfile" extension

5. stubborn read-only floppy problem _only_ with new kernels.

6. flat file processing

7. 4.3 Install problem: Unable to mount /tmp/.doc, read-only filesystem

8. Kernel debug patch

9. How to mount a floppy as read/write for users?

10. Mounting a floppy (please read)

11. Mount, read or extract files from a floppy image file (MSDOS) under Unix system

12. How do I mount read-write a UFS filesystem from a floppy disk?

13. Program to mount&read FreeBSD floppy from Win?