Problem with mouse under X

Post by Fuqu » Sun, 24 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I have a strange mouse problem that just developed recently. After a
flirtation another distribution, I just reinstalled Slackware 2.3. I now
have an intermittant mouse problem in X, where the mouse will do all kinds
of strange things when I try to move it, dropping menus, selecting text,
and jumping around. I didn't have this problem before, when I had 2.3 on
this partition, and the mouse doesn't miss a beat under Win95. I've got
the mouse on ttyS0 and a modem on cua3. Also, gpm doesn't work; it never
has on my computer with slackware. I recopied my old XF86Config file that
used to work. Any suggestions as to how to approach this?

Problem with mouse under X

Post by Fuqu » Sun, 24 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I have found a work around. Whenever I kill gpm the and then start X, the
problem with the mouse doesn't seem to happen. I don't have a bus mouse
and didn't know that I had to kill gpm. Does everybody have to do this?

Problem with mouse under X

Post by st.. » Mon, 25 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a strange mouse problem that just developed recently. After a
>flirtation another distribution, I just reinstalled Slackware 2.3. I now
>have an intermittant mouse problem in X, where the mouse will do all kinds
>of strange things when I try to move it, dropping menus, selecting text,
>and jumping around.

Look for a something like this in your XF86Config:

Section "Pointer"

    Protocol    "MouseSystems"
    Device      "/dev/mouse"
<<

Make sure that the Protocol quote is identical to the sort of Mouse you have.

On GPM: gpm has to be invoked with the proper arguments. Look in the
directory /etc/rc.d ("grep -i gpm /etc/rc.d/*") for the file that calls GPM,
and edit it to work with your mouse configuration.

--

Problem with mouse under X

Post by dtha.. » Wed, 03 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>I have found a work around. Whenever I kill gpm the and then start X, the
>problem with the mouse doesn't seem to happen. I don't have a bus mouse
>and didn't know that I had to kill gpm. Does everybody have to do this?

I use a busmouse and installed gpm specifically so that I wouldn't
have to kill selection to run X. Try using the -R option of gpm and
pointing your X configuration at /dev/gpmdata using Mouse Systems
protocol, and see it this helps any with your mouse.

dave t.

--
Dave Thayer
Denver, Colorado USA