No in.ftpd after install

Post by yong.. » Sat, 24 Mar 2001 14:33:41

I use Redhat 6.2. For some reason I don't have in.ftpd:

# pwd
/usr/sbin
# ls in.*d
in.fingerd  in.ntalkd  in.rlogind  in.talkd    in.tftpd
in.identd   in.rexecd  in.rshd     in.telnetd

What caused this during installation? I don't recall selecting it to be NOT installed. Which CD contains in.ftpd? I wonder if I'm missing other important utilities.

Thanks for help.

Yong Huang

Submitted via WebNewsReader of http://www.interbulletin.com

No in.ftpd after install

Post by Quiney, Philip [HAL02:HH00:EXCH » Sat, 24 Mar 2001 16:43:10

> I use Redhat 6.2. For some reason I don't have in.ftpd:

> # pwd
> /usr/sbin
> # ls in.*d
> in.fingerd  in.ntalkd  in.rlogind  in.talkd    in.tftpd
> in.identd   in.rexecd  in.rshd     in.telnetd

> What caused this during installation? I don't recall selecting it to be NOT installed. Which CD contains in.ftpd? I wonder if I'm missing other important utilities.

> Thanks for help.

> Yong Huang

> Submitted via WebNewsReader of http://www.interbulletin.com

Hi,

I would suspect you chose a 'workstation' installation as this leaves
out the ftp server.

On my machine if I ask rpm to specify which package contains
/usr/sbin/in.ftpd I get..

wu-ftpd-2.6.1-6

If you install this package from your CD with rpm then you will fix it.

Regards

Phil Q

--

Phil Quiney                             CSIP Demonstrator

Telephone: +44 (0)1279 402363           London Rd, Harlow,
Fax:       +44 (0)1279 402885           Essex CM17 9NA,
                                        United Kingdom.

"This message may contain information proprietary to Northern
Telecom so any unauthorised disclosure, copying or distribution
of its contents is strictly prohibited."

No in.ftpd after install

Post by yong.. » Sun, 25 Mar 2001 04:45:03

>I would suspect you chose a 'workstation' installation as this leaves
>out the ftp server.

>On my machine if I ask rpm to specify which package contains
>/usr/sbin/in.ftpd I get..

>wu-ftpd-2.6.1-6

>If you install this package from your CD with rpm then you will fix it.

>Regards

>Phil Q

Thank you. Yes, I remember it now. Is there any easy way to change my workstation to a server? Or where can I find a complete list of utilities installed on a server (by typical installation) but not on a workstation?

Yong Huang

Submitted via WebNewsReader of http://www.interbulletin.com

1. How to install wu.ftpd or in.ftpd with chroot?

Hey Admin!

I want to install wu.ftpd or in.ftpd with chroot for special users.
I installed both versions with no success.

The only problem is the chroot, all the other function of ftp are working.

All configs are tested with /usr/local/ftp/dev/null

My Configs for wu.ftpd are
1. in /etc/inetd.conf wu.ftpd -a
2. in /etc/passwd the special-user have a home-dir like /home/./joachim
3. In /usr/local/ftp mkdir pub etc bin ; chmod 511 *
4. - cp /etc/passwd etc; cp /bin/ls bin
5. In the home-dir: mkdir ~ftp
6. Test with: chroot /usr/local/ftp /bin/ls  : not found
Result ftp works but with no chroot.

My Configs for in.ftpd are
1. in /etc/inetd.conf in.ftpd
2. in /etc/passwd the special-user have a home-dir like /home/joachim
3. In /usr/local/ftp mkdir pub etc bin ; chmod 511 *
4. - cp /etc/passwd etc; cp /bin/ls bin
5. In the home-dir: mkdir ~ftp
6. Test with: chroot /usr/local/ftp /bin/ls  : not found
ftp works and  chroot works . BUT ...
I think the ls command wont work. I can upload and download but I cant see
the result of /bin/ls.

Can you help me please.

Thanks in advance for your trouble.
Joachim

2. vi editor FAQ (Frequently Asked Question List), Part 2/2

3. Informix problems afters Y2K Solaris 2.5 patch

4. Need binary patch/diff

5. callback, ppp, and morning-afters

6. tv cards

7. Difference between Installing from Ins Svr and Boot Svr?

8. PB G3 modem / PPP problems

9. setup.ins error when installing OO in 5.0-REL

10. Not Available these Signal nos on Linux

11. CD-RW: CDFS? Unstable dev nos?

12. NOS shootout

13. Seeds for random nos.