Telnet & SSH questions

Post by Dan » Mon, 13 Aug 2001 01:57:54

I've read quite a bit about being able to remotely administer a machine
by Telnet and SSH. Since I have really nothing that important on my box
(& I wouldn't be using passwords),
and for the sake of keeping things simple I thought I'd use Telnet to get
the hang of things.

  I got my IP adresse, went to a friends house, and Telnetted to my box,
then my problem came...what do I do from there? I tried some simple
commands like "ls", "cd ~",  and "top"; but I got nothing or an
"502 Error: command not
implemented" message. Any help on what to do once I'm logged in?
Another thing....does it matter which port I use?

Thanks In Advance.....

Dan

dduane at telusplanet dot net

Telnet & SSH questions

Post by Leonard Even » Mon, 13 Aug 2001 02:16:50

> I've read quite a bit about being able to remotely administer a machine
> by Telnet and SSH. Since I have really nothing that important on my box
> (& I wouldn't be using passwords),
> and for the sake of keeping things simple I thought I'd use Telnet to
> get the hang of things.

>   I got my IP adresse, went to a friends house, and Telnetted to my box,
> then my problem came...what do I do from there? I tried some simple
> commands like "ls", "cd ~",  and "top"; but I got nothing or an "502
> Error: command not
> implemented" message. Any help on what to do once I'm logged in? Another
> thing....does it matter which port I use?  Thanks In Advance.....
> Dan
> dduane at telusplanet dot net

There is something rather messed up on the machine, but I don't know what
it is.  You don't tell us what version of Linux and which release you are
running, and that might help a bit.   With more recent versions and
releases, you can't connect with telnet by default unless you install the
proper additional software.  But once you are logged in, you should be
able to execute command line commands.   The simplest explanation is that
your shell is not set up properly for such logins.  Look at
.bash_profile, .bashrc or any other such files which might be relevant.

Telnet & SSH questions

Post by Vilmos Sot » Mon, 13 Aug 2001 08:17:52

> I've read quite a bit about being able to remotely administer a machine
> by Telnet and SSH. Since I have really nothing that important on my box
> (& I wouldn't be using passwords),
> and for the sake of keeping things simple I thought I'd use Telnet to get
> the hang of things.

Don't use telnet. I am sure you don't want somebody get into your machine
and do some * things originating from there.

Vilmos

Telnet & SSH questions

Post by N.. » Tue, 14 Aug 2001 00:39:46

> I've read quite a bit about being able to remotely administer a machine
> by Telnet and SSH. Since I have really nothing that important on my box
> (& I wouldn't be using passwords),
> and for the sake of keeping things simple I thought I'd use Telnet to get
> the hang of things.

>   I got my IP adresse, went to a friends house, and Telnetted to my box,
> then my problem came...what do I do from there? I tried some simple
> commands like "ls", "cd ~",  and "top"; but I got nothing or an
> "502 Error: command not
> implemented" message. Any help on what to do once I'm logged in?
> Another thing....does it matter which port I use?

Somethings messed up on the box. See which shell you have, look in
/etc/passwd , it should say something like /bin/sh. And check your
enviroment variables, maybe your PATH is empty?
try issuing export PATH=/bin:/usr/bin

--
Nils O. Sel?sdal

1. newbie question, telnet on local network vs ssh & security

USE ssh! (Irrespective)

If you dont have an adequate firewall running on both machines
or between them and the Internet, then if someone wants to read
your passwords they can hack into your PC's and do so....

To answer your other q...
No the packets stay inside your LAN, they dont visit the 'net'
for any part of the journey...

cheerio

2. Help FTPing Linux

3. Newbie question: can't log ssh telnet, or regular telnet into FSD

4. Protect sendmail with postfix

5. telnet & ssh & ping

6. problem with Solaris 2.6 NFS client - NT Server w/ Solstice 3.2

7. ADSL, ssh & X (Was: ssh & X)

8. Help:games for linux wanted(binaries)

9. Getting ssh, ftp, & telnet lag from my server

10. Telnet & SSH Pt2

11. Firewall: Telnet & ssh

12. How to install SSH and use the telnet & Ftp services

13. ssh & telnet